Spring is here and we're happy because in April it is National Grilled Cheese Month and, also, National BLT Month. This sandwich celebrates the best of both. From the ooey gooey cheese to the crunch of the lettuce, the heat from the buffalo sauce to the sweet maple bacon...this sandwich will be your new favorite! Since the weather has been a little chilly, this is a great comfort food but with a twist. It has a crisp and refreshing wedge salad in between the decadent grilled cheeses.
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese / Wedge BLT
- Servings: ½ sandwich
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 4 slices maple bacon, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- ⅛ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 8 slices bread (your choice)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (or 1 cups freshly grated cheese) or your favorite cheese
- 1 head lettuce, cut 2 round slices ½" thick out (make rounds same diameter as bread)
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- Add chopped bacon to skillet and cook over medium high heat until bacon is almost crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and place on paper towel to drain excess grease.
- In a medium size bowl, add chicken, celery and buffalo wing sauce. Gently mix to thoroughly combine.
- On a large griddle pan, lay out all bread slices. Evenly butter each slice, then flip over. Add one cheese slice to each unbuttered bread slice (or evenly add grated cheese). Evenly distribute the chicken mixture to 4 slices of bread, then add the other 4 slices cheese side down (over the chicken mixture). You now have 4 sandwiches, butter is facing out and they are ready to grill.
- Heat your griddle pan to medium low heat (about 250 degrees F). Cook grilled cheese sandwiches for 3-4 minutes each side, be careful not to burn. Turn heat down or flip more frequent, if necessary. Make sure that the cheese is melted, remove from heat.
- Gently lay out the 2 lettuce rounds and evenly top them with blue cheese dressing, tomato, blue cheese crumbles and bacon.
- To assemble, start with one grilled cheese and add one wedge salad round on top. Then top the salad with another grilled cheese. Repeat for the other sandwiches. Skewer both sides of the sandwiches and cut in half.
Optional - drizzle on more buffalo sauce, add blue cheese crumbles and celery leaves to plate.
Note- To make your own buffalo wing sauce, add hot sauce and butter to a sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. (2 parts hot sauce to 1 part butter).
To make your own blue cheese dressing - add 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles, 1 teaspoon worcestershire and ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar. Mix together.
My live on air food segment - My West Michigan - WZZM TV13 on April 12, 2016
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!