Brisket! With a secret ingredient!
- 3-4 lb (first cut) trimmed brisket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced in rounds
- 1 ½ cups fresh brewed strong coffee
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 3-4 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 mini potatoes
- (See video below for a full tutorial)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season brisket by patting and rubbing Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides of brisket.
- Sprinkle both sides with garlic powder and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil into Dutch Oven, roasting pan or large oven safe skillet.
- On high heat, brown brisket on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove brisket.
- Reduce heat to medium high and cook onions with drippings until just softened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wisk together coffee and ketchup.
- Remove the onions or move them to one side of the pan.
- Return the brisket to the Dutch oven fat side up and arrange the onions over the brisket.
- Add carrots and mini potatoes.
- Pour the coffee & ketchup mixture over the brisket.
- Cook for 2 ½ hours or until tender, basting occasionally.
- Slice the brisket and smother it with the onions, carrots, potatoes and gravy.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!