Breakfast cookies with healthy oats and flaxseed, along with banana chips, dates, walnuts, and CHOCOLATE! These are not too sweet but delicious and a great grab and go breakfast that you can make ahead and keep a stash in the freezer.
- Servings: 1 cookie
- Yield: 16
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped dried banana chips
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and toast walnuts until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Line two baking sheets (can use the same one as the walnuts) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, flaxseed, orange zest, salt, and cinnamon until creamy.
- Add yogurt and egg and beat to combine.
- Add oat mixture and beat to combine.
- Fold in dates, banana chips, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
- Mound dough in ¼-cup scoops on prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly to yield a bigger, flatter cookie as the dough will not spread much.
- Bake until golden, about 18 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.