Pão-de-queijo is a Brazilian staple that is a cheese puff in a ball shape, chewy, delicious, gluten free and very addictive.My grandma has been making this recipe for over 70 years and we asked her for the recipe!!
Brazilian Cheese Bread (Gluten-Free)
- 17.5 oz of sour starch or tapioca flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare a greased baking tray or you can use foil.
- In the bowl place the flour.
- Wet the flour with room temperature water, this is what will help hydrate the flour.
- After adding the water, knead the dough with both hands to break up all the little stones created from adding the water.
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil, milk and salt over moderate heat until it comes to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove from heat and it to the flour, mixing and kneading with your hands (just be careful because the mixture is still hot) until everything is well incorporated.
- At this point the dough begins to have more consistency.
- Knead it for a few more minutes and add the eggs one by one.
- Finally add the grated cheese and knead some more.
- The dough will be quite sticky.
- Put some oil in your hands to keep the avoid the dough from sticking to your hands.
- If you think that the dough is too soft, add less eggs, if it’s too dry, add a little milk.
- Shape dough into small balls and bake until golden on top about 25-30 minutes.
- The Brazilian cheese bread are at their best when they’re still warm from the oven.