This is a dish that my late husband prepared on any occasion when a quick and cheap dish was needed! It multiples in quantity very well.
Bill's Mama's Rice
- Servings: 1 cup
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 stick butter
- 1 4.5 oz. jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can French Onion soup(Campbell's)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- Melt butter in medium sized casserole dish(pyrex or other type ok to use in oven.
- Add rice and mix into the melted butter
- Add the cans (with their liquid) of water chestnuts and mushrooms
- Stir in the French Onion soup until all is mixed together
- Cover with a lid or foil and place in a preheated 350 oven
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until almost dry. Rice should be moist.
This is a great recipe for feeding a crowd-it doubles, triples and quadruples very well. It can be easily fixed ahead and held for a while until ready to bake. So easy that a young chef can make it! Bill's family and friends asked him to fix this dish for just about every gathering that we had together. His mother wasn't much of a cook but this was her go-to dish!