One bite of his delicious twist on bread putting will make you a be believer - great for a special breakfast or as a show stopping dessert! Do yourself a favor and make this TODAY!
Best Ever Chocolatey Bread Pudding
- Servings: Dessert size portion
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 stick butter - room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. vanilla
- 5 large eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- 12 croissants torn into 1" pieces
- ½ cup dried cherries or raisins
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
- Beat butter and sugar together in a medium size bowl
- Blend in the cinnamon and vanilla
- Add eggs and half & half and blend
- Lightly butter a 9x13 pan
- Place croissant pieces into pan
- Sprinkle chocolate and cherries or raisins every on top of croissant pieces
- Pour egg mixture into pan over croissants, etc
- Press croissants down slightly to allow them to absorb egg mixture and let sit for 10 minutes
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little, serve and enjoy with or without ice cream.
I'm someone who passes on desserts and don't have a sweet tooth at all, however when my sister made this dessert for my mom's 88th birthday last month, I couldn't believe how delicious it was and actually ate a full dish of it. The taste reminds me of the delicious French pastry called pain au chocolat (making it a breakfast dish, too), but with more dark chocolate and a moist custardy twist. Enjoy!