Dense and Fudgy Chocolate Crust is topped with a Tangy Yogurt Custard, Studded with Juicy Berries and Sprinkled with a Deep, Dark, Chocolate Streusel Topping. Garnish with Fresh Berries for a Gorgeous Dessert!
Berry Chocolate Streusel Bars
- For the Streusel Layers:
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- For the Custard Layer:
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- For Garnish:
- fresh berries (such as strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- confectioners (powdered) sugar
- Make the Streusel:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Mixture should resemble oatmeal, with butter pieces no larger than the size of a pea. Press ¾ of the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Make the Custard:
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, yogurt, flour, orange juice, vanilla, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the frozen berries, and pour the mixture over the par-baked crust. Top with the remaining streusel, and bake for one hour. Cool completely, cut into bars, top with fresh berries, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.