My Banana Bread French Toast, inspired by my grandmother's banana bread from when I was a child, is gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar free for a decadent breakfast that can be enjoyed by many.
Banana Bread French Toast
- 6 Eggs
- ½ C. Honey
- ¾ Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Medium Over-ripe Bananas
- 1 ½ C. Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 2 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ c. dairy-free milk of choice
- Coconut oil or vegan butter
- Maple Syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a small square cake pan, two bread loaf pans or a muffin pan with oil or butter. Mix together applesauce, 2 eggs, honey, and 1 ½ tsp. of vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients, using only ½ tsp. of cinnamon. Mix into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Mash bananas until creamy and mix in.
- Poor into pan, muffin cups or pans and bake for 30-35 or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Muffins take a little less)
- Set aside to cool or cool overnight to make french toast in the morning.
- Coat a ceramic frying pan with a dairy-free butter or coconut oil. Preheat your pan over medium heat.
- In a shallow, medium sized bowl mix remaining 4 eggs, remaining cinnamon, milk and remaining vanilla until blended well.
- Take pre-sliced bread slices or sticks (I chose to make thick sticks from my loaf) and dip GENEROUSLY in egg wash mixture on both sides. Place in pan and cook until golden and crispy on each side.
- Warm pure maple syrup just before serving and serve the french toast warm with vegan butter, maple syrup or other topping of choice.