I love SRING! The warmer weather, the beautiful flowers and my favorite vegetable is in season. My favorite vegetable is asparagus. I grew up in Oceana County, Michigan and we are home to the National Asparagus Festival. My grand parents were asparagus farmers and now my uncle has taken over the family farms. I have judged the National Asparagus Pageant and I have done several live, on-air asparagus recipe segments. I love to share the nutritional value of asparagus and showcase the different ways to cook asparagus. This recipe features green asparagus. I will add a few more recipes that have both white and purple asparagus in this Savoring Spring Challenge. Asparagus is also one of the CLEAN 15 fruits and vegetables.
Ancho Chile Asparagus Guacamole
- 1 pound asparagus, chopped and steamed
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons green pepper Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced
- ⅛ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the onions and tomatoes, to a food processor and pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and gently fold in the onions and tomatoes.
Note: In this guacamole, I don't like to bite into minced jalapeños, I prefer the smoothness of the green pepper jalapeño sauce. But, feel free to add fresh jalapeños if you want.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!