Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Show us your healthier breakfast!

Chicken-Apple Sausage + Spinach Frittata

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

3c33e802e8f9da618d0d48bfc1ba7ed0ca1712f9.jpg

As a family, we have been on a mission since January to clean up our diet and only give ourselves healthy options at meal time. With this goal in mind, my husband and I decided to embark upon the Whole30 challenge to reset our bad habits and learn some better ones. Needless to say, that meant that the menu in our household had some making over to do. I wanted to share a staple breakfast item that I have been enjoying every morning since beginning Whole30 - this breakfast frittata.

3c2f52f2667ce34bc25584d085dd2e0b567992a8.jpg

I have literally never made a frittata before this wellness experiment. I am a crazy quiche lover, and this is something like that, minus the buttery crust and indulgent cheese, of course. But I have grown to love this morning breakfast because it is so filling and savory and hearty - just what I wake up craving. Isn't that weird? And wonderful. It's actually kind of wonderful. What is happening to me.

Ingredients:
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 link chicken-apple sausage, precooked and sliced (I used Aidell's Organic version)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 gigantic handful spinach
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lemon slice + some lemon zest

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.

2. Heat your oven-safe skillet (I am loving my new Staub skillet!) over medium. Drizzle with some olive oil.

3. While the skillet is heating, whisk together your 4-6 eggs. I say that range because it depends on how big you want this frittata to be. 4 if you're wanting it to feel more veggie-licious, 6 if you went to the gym and you need some serious monster eggs in your life STAT. Salt and pepper the eggs to your liking. Then set them aside.

4. Once the skillet is heated, add the chopped onion and grape tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the tomatoes are wilted.

5. Add spinach to the skillet. Cook another 1-2 minutes, until almost wilted.

6. Then add the chicken sausage. This is already pre-cooked, but you want to reheat it and let the flavors all get to know each other a bit. Mmm things are starting to get savory.

7. Now you you pour in your beaten eggs to the mixture. At this point you don't really want to mix anything around. Just let the eggs begin to set in the skillet.

8. Then add the diced avocado to the mixture, if you're into that kind of thing. Avocado is basically the perfect replacement for cheese in a Whole30/Paleo situation, so I never forego it.

9. The extra special ingredient is the lemon and zest. Take a microplane grater and zest a bit of lemon skin on top of the frittata. Then take 1 slice of lemon and squeeze a bit of juice on top of the frittata. It will add a little extra note of flavor, and believe me, you will love it.

10. Once the frittata is "set" (after 3-5 minutes on the stove), transfer the skillet into the oven. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes. It will be ready once it's lightly browned on the top. Slice and enjoy!

f3ab5767f0429a5c3d128daed44b61f2ab71445a.jpg

2faa2199cb8bbc2012542fea9cc976bcc953d307.jpg

147da43033c9793b377d380c2bcefd859109d1d4.jpg

I love this frittata. You can top it with hot sauce or salsa for an extra kick of spice. My husband and I have been dominating the entire frittata everyday, and believe me, it will fill you up! Very satisfying. For all of you who are curious about Whole30 and whether you can actually eat "good food" while on this plan, I would definitely encourage you to give this recipe a try!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.