Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Raising Kind Kids

Kindness Counts

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

My kids are 10 and 12. The practice of being nice and extending kindness to others is even more important now than when they were little tots. Kids tend to grab toys out of a playmate's hands or ask for a goody bag before the party is over. But as you get older, you have to know right from wrong.

776e478929cdc4329e12a7bc9b76d7e0c2b5fce0

I don't wish for them to be kind. I expect it, and freely offer my not-so-subtle hints on how they should be mindful of others every single day. Yes, I am *that* mom who, puts a note in their child's lunch box, that says 'make someone smile today'…hoping that between nibbles of pretzels and a cheese stick, they feel inspired to extend a little goodwill.

In fact, nothing excites me more than a teacher talking about the thoughtful behavior my child exhibited at school, Girl Scouts, study lab or religious school. I consider it a score of personal achievement and feel that my job as a parent is on the right track, for today at least! My husband has a line he likes to share with our kids that he heard on the HBO Miniseries on John Adams: 'To be good and do good is all we have to do'. We constantly share with our children that being kind starts small: smiling, laughing, apologizing, listening and giving thanks.

But it’s often on those busy weekdays where it's difficult to keep kindness on the short list. When the stress of day-to-day life fills so much of our evening that we often forget to step back, pause and smile. Being mindful (and in the moment) is not only a step towards being kind to others, but to yourself as well.

So as I deal with the hustle and bustle of everyday life…now and especially during the holidays…I will try to stop, breathe and remind myself that kindness counts and make sure my children do this as well.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.