Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Adjusting Your Sight For 2018

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

f0d14c4c5223e82ebed7dc7db3b283ec853b288a.jpeg

For many the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve brought new resolutions for a fresh year. Did you know that research says that 80% of new year resolutions are over by last month in mid February? When goals seem to be big, hard, or long most give up. I discussed this topic on Today In Nashville segment on NBC a few weeks ago and based on the feedback, I can assure you that if you need a restart to your year - or even today - you're not alone.

Our days are filled with exciting things and mundane things. Sometimes we measure ourselves according to whether we “succeeded or failed” in accomplishing our goals or resolutions. But this is not the way we are meant to view our lives. Life is a journey and a process.

Three ways to begin adjusting your sight for your best life are:

1) Don’t dwell on the past or worry about the future.

Be present. Dwelling on the past or worrying about the future can distract and cloud your vision for living your best life today. It’s best to learn from the past and plan on the future. One thing I like to do at the beginning of a new year or new season is reflect on and learn from the past. Look at what worked and learn from what didn’t. There is a difference between dwelling and reflecting. By definition, to dwell means to live in and to reflect means to meditate without absorbing.

2) Focus on choices you actually have in front of you.

Where are you today? What areas are strong and vibrant? What areas do you see need for improvement? Here are some areas to consider evaluating: Faith, Family, Friends, Health, Career, Balance. In life there are things we have a choice in and some things we can’t control. Working with what you have, making the choices you can make in the present, and doing what you know to do in the now will help you thrive.

3) Say no to negative self talk.

The mind is a powerful thing. Every moment of every day you are changing your brain with your thoughts in a positive or negative direction. Every time you think or choose, you cause structure change in your brain.

When it comes to this area, I highly recommend getting familiar with the books and teachings of Dr. Caroline Leaf Caroline is one of my favorite experts in this area. She is a cognitive neuroscientist who has studied the mind brain connection for many years. Her research is fascinating and explains how your thoughts impact your spirit, soul, and body. The mind is a powerful thing - we can have right perceptions of ourselves by eliminating negative self talk.

Your life is not limited to a calendar year. Goals and resolutions are good, but my hope for you is that this will be a year of fresh revelations. Here’s to your best life yet!

Holly

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.