Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Parenting Resolutions

3 Things I Promise To Do More In 2018

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

5663c5547451cb36db0fb60622fd4b5a47641786.jpg

Another year has passed. Another year is here. How time flies. Each year, I make promises to myself but I never really see them through. Well, I am hoping this year is a lot different.

The good thing about a new year is that the kids are older too. Hopefully, that will make it a lot easier for me to carry on with my New Year’s resolutions. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Here are 3 things I promise to do more in 2018.

1. Do More for Myself. This 2018, I want to do more for myself. I want to exercise more, eat more of my kind of food, and watch the movies that I like. If I can allot time to do things for my family, then I should be able to do the same for myself. As a matter of fact, I should allocate time for myself, not just in my mind but on my actual time table schedule. So, I’m going to do just that.

2. Cook More For The Family. This means actually get up a lot earlier in the morning to prepare a cooked breakfast. Hopefully, this lessens the cereal intake of my kids.

Apparently, kids shouldn’t take in more than forty-eight grams of sugar a day. So, I want to start keeping a close eye on that.

3. Let Go More And Take It Easy. This is not to sound too dramatic but I want to let go more and just take it easy. If the kids put their feet up on the sofa, I’m not going to let it spoil my day. I will tell them off once. If they don’t listen, then so what if we have a dirty sofa? If I can’t stand seeing a dirty sofa, then I’m just going to store it somewhere and have a bare living room. If every piece of furniture disappears to the storage, so what? Enough of the mom guilt for me. The same thing goes for childcare. If I have to hire someone to watch, then I’m going to do just that. I’m going to let go and relax more.

I want to enjoy 2018. This is not to say that I won’t be watching my family because I will definitely keep a close eye on them. However, I won’t pressure myself to control things nor will I let the little things get to me. I’m just going to let go more, relax, and enjoy 2018. Happy New Year.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.