In my experience, when a dish comes out of a farmhouse kitchen, it's a given that it's great. This recipe is the perfect example of a fresh, Fall side dish that will please your whole family!
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large summer squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk (or 2 tablespoons powdered milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or 7-8 slices of American Cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice zucchini and summer squash into 1-inch rounds.
- In a medium pot, bring to boil about an inch of water.
- Add squash, cover and cook until fork tender, about 7-8 minutes. (Check to make sure water has not evaporated. Add more water if necessary.)
- When done, pour squash into a colander and drain well.
- Return squash to the pot.
- Add butter and milk, stirring and mashing to break up the squash into small pieces.
- Add strips of American cheese or cup of shredded cheese (the secret ingredient!) and mix until completely incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Note: Try the same recipe using turnips instead of squash. Delicious, too!