Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Get Happy!

What IF?

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Some people are not naturally (or easily) happy people. Some have to try a little harder to tamp down their pessimist and embrace their optimist. Some like me, might have a lifelong job of working towards having a healthy relationship with their optimist. But, I have recently found a new game I like playing, which has helped in increasing the overall “happy” in my life. It’s called the, “What IF?” game and it goes like this:

Me: It’s been a very long, hard day and I really don’t want to do laundry. I want to sit and watch bad reality television.

Pessimist Me: That’s not what you should be doing. You should be doing laundry. And maybe even a quick work out.

Me: But I’m so tired…

THE GAME: What IF, you did just what you want to do right now - sit and watch tv and not worry about the laundry? Will the laundry be there tomorrow?

Me: Yes.

THE GAME: Does everyone have enough clean clothes to get out the door in the morning?

Me: Yes.

THE GAME: So, no one will have to go to work/school in dirty underwear and you get to relax. CAN YOU LIVE WITH THAT?

Me: YES!

And so I sit and watch television, eat a bowl of ice cream and I get up 10 minutes early in the morning to put the laundry in. Win!

It’s a relatively simple game. As soon as I start hearing my pessimist talking – telling me what I should be doing or thinking, how I should be feeling or that I am “bad/wrong/lazy,” I stop and ask myself What IF? What IF the dishes stay in the sink all night, I wait one more day to pay the electric bill, I don’t make the healthiest of dinners for my kids or I have an extra glass of wine at night? I ask, “Can you live with that?” I work through how or if that decision will REALLY affect my life. If the answer is YES, then I shut down the pessimist and move on.

I'd found that so much of my life was being spent listening to the pessimist in me; the part of me who was always worrying, always feeling like a failure because I didn’t do or say the right thing. I wasn’t enjoying my life anymore! I was tired, frazzled, over-scheduled and angry. There was no award handed out at the end of a hard week, where I had told myself it was too indulgent to sit and enjoy a good book, or order pizza because I was just plain tired and didn’t feel like cooking. No one said thank you for ensuring the house was spotless, in fact, my boys complained I cleaned too much. I didn’t sleep better at night knowing the laundry was finished. Instead, I found something else to worry about, like the full dishwasher or the long to-do list for the next day.

By starting to ask What IF, I saw that there was one person to blame for my tired, grumpy, pessimistic disposition – me! I’d fallen into the trap of telling myself this is what was expected of me, this is what I should be doing if I was a good mother or wife. My pessimist had run amok and my decisions were based out of fear and shame instead of honesty. So I decided to stop blindly listening to my pessimist and start asking myself, if each decision was really the best decision.

Sometimes I find the pessimistic voice is right, I really do need to get some exercise even if I am tired, because at the end of the day, it WILL make me feel better (and sleep better). Yes, I do need to pay the bills and get my oil changed. But most of the time, I found the things that were making me feel the worst, were truly silly. Let the laundry sit another day, let the floors be a bit dirty. Don’t say yes to hosting the HOA meeting because you don’t HAVE to. And by simply taking the time to look at my decisions and question their validity, I have found more happiness, more time for enjoyment in my life and less judgment. What IF my house is not perfect, dinner is pizza with my family and I eat a third cookie?

Can I live with that? YES!!!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.