Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Show us your healthier breakfast!

Homemade Toaster Pastries

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I was in fifth grade the first time I ate a Pop Tart. Sugary cereals and treats were not the norm at my house. My grandmother would have rather bake a pie or batch of sugar cookies before she brought any frosted sugar coated breakfast food home from the grocery store.

My best friend, Fran, introduced me to some of the finer things in a preteen’s life — Nutella, Cool Ranch Doritos, and Pop Tarts. I used to be amazed with her pantry filled with warehouse sized packages. The box of Pop Tarts was immense. One rainy afternoon, I tried every variety twice. I might still be feeling the effects of that sugar rush.

I did not have them very often, but cherry was my definite favorite. I knew my future husband was a keeper when he showed up outside my classroom early one morning with a box of those pink frosted pastries.

Now that I have kids of my own, I don’t like to send my kids off to school high on sugar. Don’t get me wrong, we do buy Pop Tarts, but they are usually a once in awhile treat.

After a trip to the grocery store filled with whining and begging for sugary treats, I came to the conclusion that Pop Tarts were just little pies. I set out to recreate my own version. I kept my recipe simple and did not attempt a sugary glaze for the top. When they came out of the oven, the pastries were sweet and flaky.

I cannot wait to try this recipe out with different fillings. The best part, I can freeze these and pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast when we are running out the door.

645b6a1691f9e7059c2d489b2b71b795106595ba.jpg

Makes 8 pastries

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 6 tablespoons cold water
  • Jam (any flavor)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine flour, salt, and butter in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Cut together with a pastry cutter until mixture takes on a crumbly appearance.
  4. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms into a ball.
  5. Roll out on a flat surface.
  6. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle 1/8-inch thick.
  7. Cut smaller rectangles to desired size
  8. Using a pastry brush, brush egg lightly over the pieces of dough.
  9. Add about 2 tablespoons of jam to half the pieces and top each with a second piece. With the tines of a fork, press the sides of each pastry together. Poke a few holes on the top to allow air to escape while baking.
  10. Place the pastries on a baking sheet and and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown
  11. Serve warm, room temperature, or freeze for future use.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.