Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Enter TODAY's Ultimate Cook-Off Contest

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

36a26c_ce4ee0ab43f04552b940e6ce17c4018b~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg

If you know me you know my teeth are sweeter than a pitcher of Southern iced tea. That said I promise I do make things other than desserts, and they're really good, but sometimes you've reached a point in the year where you need to indulge in something comforting and decadent. This chocolate pudding cake fits the bill perfectly.

One part cake, one part velvety, rich chocolate, one whole bowl of 'get in my belly' goodness, this is a recipe my mother has been fixing for years. Can I get an Amen that she shared it with me? Passing down recipes is something many families do. Sometimes the best ones are kept secret. But when you have something this good-and it's super easy to fix-you need to share the wealth.

That's what friends do, right?

Pull up a bowl of your favorite ice cream and learn just how you can make the beginning of the school year extra special for the children in your life-and yourself. They will thank you for it.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Ingredients

Cake:

1/4 cup of sugar

1 cup self-rising flour

2 tbsp. Hershey's cocoa

1/2 cup milk

3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

1 tsp. vanilla

Topping:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 Hershey's cocoa

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups of water

Directions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl use a fork to combine the first 3 ingredients from the cake recipe: sugar, flour, and cocoa. Once well blended use a spatula to stir in the milk, butter, and vanilla. When combined this mixture will be relatively thick and sticky-no need to worry. This is a sure sign that your batter is right on target.

2. Pour the cake mixture into a 9 inch, well-greased baking dish and spread evenly. Any shape is fine, I prefer a round dish for serving purposes (and it looks so pretty).

3. Once the cake base is spread into your baking dish, use a fork to mix together your dry topping ingredients: the dark brown sugar, cocoa, and sugar. Sprinkle the dry mixture over the batter. This is going to make a substantial amount, but be sure to put it all evenly atop of the cake base.

4. When you're ready to place your pudding cake into the oven pour the water gently over the top. Do not stir or mix. This is part of the magic and simplicity of this recipe! Once the water is added and the cake placed in the oven, the cake part will rise to the top while the sugars and water will sink to the bottom. This is what forms the fantastic chocolate sauce that makes this a pudding cake.

5. Bake for 45 minutes before removing form the oven. The pudding cake will be jiggly. Remember: pudding jiggles and it wiggles-just like you will when you smell that divine treat! Give it a few minutes to cool while you grab your bowls and spoons.

6. Scoop out some pudding cake, get some of that fabulous sauce, then grab your ice cream scoop. We prefer a scoop of French vanilla, but any vanilla ice cream will do. Then sit back and enjoy this warm, rich, soft and delicious bowl of heaven.

Have fun!

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!