Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Spiced Pumpkin Kiribath

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

A delicious, gluten free, doctored up version of a traditional Sri Lankan favorite - this Spiced Pumpkin Kiribath is sure to please as brunch or even dessert!

Spiced Pumpkin Kiribath

• Servings: 6
  • Yield: 6-8
  • Prep Time: 10 min
  • Cooking Time: 25 min

Ingredients

• 1½ cups coconut milk
  • ⅔ cup of water
  • ¾ cup of rice
  • ⅔ cup of 100% pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
  • Optional - coconut whipped cream

Preparation

1. Add to a pot over medium heat - 1½ cups coconut milk, a ⅔ cup of water, a ¾ cup of rice, a ⅔ cup of 100% pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  2. Bring this mixture came to a boil,
  3. Then lower the flame and cover it and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Then, add in 3 tablespoons molasses and 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (if you want yours to be unsweetened, you can skip this step)
  5. Spoon the kiribath into different bowls and let them chill for 2 or so hours before enjoying with some coconut whipped cream piped on top.

Recipe Tags

Every holiday and birthday, my mom makes Sri Lankan Kiribath which is kind of like an unsweetened, hardened rice pudding with coconut milk, rice and salt. There was this one time I made a sweetened Blueberry Kiribath that was a hit, so I figured I would make a Spiced Pumpkin Kiribath for brunch this year when she is here to visit.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!