Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Savoring Spring

Mom’s Chicken over Spiralized Root Vegetables

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

My mother makes a chicken that’s so juicy and flavorful, and I finally made it with her and guess what: it’s SO simple! I was shocked!

Mom’s Chicken over Spiralized Root Vegetables

• Yield: 4 servings
  • Prep Time: 15 min
  • Cooking Time: 45 min

Ingredients

• 2 parsnips, peeled, spiralized
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, spiralized
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken legs
  • 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
  • 4 tablespoons of bottled teriyaki sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Worchesteshire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Toss together all of the spiralized vegetables with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Take out a large baking dish and add in all of the spiralized vegetables. Then, top with the chicken, laying out in one even layer. Season the tops of the chicken with salt and pepper. Drizzle the tops of the chicken each with 1 tablespoon of the teriyaki sauce, ½ teaspoon each of the Worcestershire sauce and ½ teaspoon each with the soy sauce and spread with a brush until the tops and sides of the chicken are covered. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken is no longer pink on the thickest part of the chicken. If at 45 minutes the tops of the chicken and burning and not yet fully done, cover with tinfoil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven and serve a scoop of the spiralized vegetables along with a piece of the chicken.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!