Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Homemade Tortilla Chips

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Homemade Tortilla Chips | Jennifer Cooks Earlier this summer, I spent a week with my sister and her family in Colorado. While I was there, I whipped up some great Tex Mex classics like, Beef Enchiladas and these Homemade Tortilla Chips. My nephew, Jackson, loves Tex Mex like I do, so I thought it would be fun to teach him how to make chips that are way better than store bought. I was about his age when my mom taught me how to fry chips, and I promise, nothing beats the crunch and flavor of homemade tortilla chips!

Homemade Tortilla Chips | Jennifer Cooks

There’s not much to making chips other than cutting up regular corn tortillas and frying them in hot oil. I used white corn tortillas here, but yellow are just as good. Make sure to use an oil that can withstand high heat frying, like peanut oil. You can also use vegetable oil, canola oil or melted shortening.

Homemade Tortilla Chips | Jennifer Cooks You can use a deep fryer if you have one, or a heavy-bottomed skillet, like cast iron will work too. Use about 4 cups of oil and heat it to about 350 degrees for deep frying. Drop in enough cut tortillas to fill the pan in one single layer. Fry, flipping the chips occasionally until they are light golden brown. You’ll notice that the sizzling of the oil calms down and the chips begin to float when they’re about done.

Homemade Tortilla Chips | Jennifer Cooks Remove chips onto a paper towel-lined dish and immediately salt the hot chips after removing from the oil. Enjoy these delicious chips with some of these great recipes! Beef Enchiladas, Spicy Sausage Queso, Taqueria Style Salsa, 7-Layer Dip, Mexican Seafood Cocktail, or Cowboy Caviar!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Homemade Tortilla Chips
Author:
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 4 cups oil (peanut, vegetable or canola)
  • 20 corn tortillas
  • Kosher Salt
Instructions
  1. Stack tortillas and cut into 6 triangles.
  2. In a large heavy skillet, heat 4 cups of oil over medium high heat to about 350 degrees.
  3. Line a large dish, plate or platter with several layers of clean paper towels.
  4. Carefully place tortilla triangles, one-at-a-time, into the hot oil. Only put enough for a single layer, about 12 triangles.
  5. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, turning chips with a slotted spoon about halfway through.
  6. Using a slotted spoon, remove chips to a paper towel-lined dish and immediately sprinkle with salt.
  7. Continue cooking chips in batches until all chips are fried. Serve warm.
Notes
You may want to make more than you think...they'll go fast! Leftover chips can be stored in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to a week. You may reheat chips in a 350 degree oven for several minutes to warm and crisp if they have gone a little stale. Watch carefully so they don't over-brown in the oven.

The post Homemade Tortilla Chips appeared first on Jennifer Cooks.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!