Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Healthy Swaps

Athlete Food Pitaya Smoothie Bowl

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Add more nutrients to a typical bowl of cereal by using a protein and vitamin packed smoothie base instead of milk. And we think the vibrant color of pitaya is enough to jumpstart any morning.

Athlete Food Pitaya Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients

• 1 frozen bananas, broken into pieces
  • 1 package frozen pitaya puree
  • ½ cup maple water (or coconut water)
  • 1 scoop Osmo Honey & Spice protein powder (or a powder of your choice)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon natural peanut butter
  • Toppings: Bee pollen, sliced apples, toasted coconut, sliced bananas, roasted & unsalted almonds

Preparation

1. Blend the first five ingredients until smooth. Add you choice of toppings and eat right away.

Recipe Tags

File Apr 17, 8 14 56 PM.jpeg

I'm not a pink person, but I have to admit I've fallen for two pink things: my Salming Distance running shoes and pitaya smoothie bowls. Why? Because pitaya (AKA dragon fruit) not only looks pretty and tastes good, but is high in anti-oxidants and vitamin B. And the Salming running shoes? They are just plain fast.

Pitaya is sold in single serving size frozen pouches at some grocery stores and on line. If you are in NYC, you can get them from Fresh Direct or take a trip town to Chinatown to get fresh dragon fruit. I've done both - but Fresh Direct is the way to go. I tried to navigate Chinatown sidewalk fruit stands with Maya and she ended up getting scratched by an overprotective shop cat. I'll just order on line from now on!

Until last year, Salming shoes could only be found in Sweden and in other countries in Europe. But now they too can now be purchased online (we love their website) and at local running shops throughout the US. If you are in Boston for the marathon, be sure to stop by the Salming pop-up shop at the expo. Salming also has @athletestyle approved apparel that will make you want to get out there and run.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!