Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Cocktail Hour

A Hasty Devonshire

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

A coffee cocktail with rum, Kahlua and cardamom for spice.

A Hasty Devonshire

• Yield: 1 serving
  • Prep Time: 5 min

Ingredients

• 2 cardamom pods
  • 3 TB dark spiced rum
  • 1 shot espresso or double-strength brewed coffee, chilled
  • 1 TB Kahlua
  • 1 ½ tsp turbinado sugar
  • splash cream
  • 4 large ice cubes
  • orange zest, to garnish

Preparation

1. Crush cardamom pods and add to a shaker. Muddle rum, Kahlúa, espresso, and sugar with the back of a wooden spoon or cocktail muddler. Add a splash of cream, seal and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
  2. Strain into a chilled glass filled with the ice cubes. Garnish with a small piece of orange zest.

Recipe Tags

Did I ever tell you that one of my favorite things about flying is the in-flight magazine? My favorite in-flight magazine is in Hemispheres, found on United flights, because there’s a story run every month entitled, “Three Perfect Days [in insert exotic or not so exotic destination here].” In it, some lucky writer gets to explore a city, figuring out every noteworthy thing there is to do should a visitor find themselves in said location and give them the tips to have three perfect days: what to see, what to eat, where to stay. Like I said, dream job.

While flipping through Hemispheres last October on my way to/from D.C., I came across an article about how a bar in London is twisting up cocktails using flavors from India’s spice market to create drinks with a little sumpin’ sumpin’. Even though I’m not big on the fancy cocktails, I found myself intrigued by this Devonshire Express, an espresso-white rum-cardamom drink, and made a mental note to try and make it at home.

6374547c8a909b5f2881674a13242c23987530c1.jpg

Months later after examining the recipe, I made a few tweaks to make it more…me…and I think you’ll like the result.

Spiced rum.

Extra Kahlua.

A splash of cream (really, a splash. There’s no measuring. Make it the color you want).

So, not quite a Devonshire Express. Perhaps I’ll call this one A Hasty Devonshire. We’ll all have to go to London for the real thing.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!