Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Share your mom lessons

You have so much, realize it.

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

5261b8a77ca6484b5c81e83d121c2eebc099ba10.jpg

One of my first childhood memories was around 5 years old. I grew up in Northern Virginia and my mom did everything she could to make sure we didn't go without. We had food and clothing and if I decided I HAD to have the new Barbie van, my mom found a way.

It was Thanksgiving and my mom wanted us to give back. My parents took us into DC to serve dinner to families who otherwise wouldn't have a hot meal that day. They were so thankful. Later in life, when I would come home and whine about not making the varsity basketball team or complain that he asked HER to the dance instead of me, my mom would give me the look. That look meant "you really have nothing to complain about, so don't."

I still think about that Thanksgiving. And every time I think about it, I gain more perspective. Now I have my own child and I'm desperate for her to be grateful. She knows how to swipe an iphone and can't even talk yet. She knows what pumpkin loaf is from Starbucks. But will she be grateful? I hope so. I learned when I was 5 that being fortunate isn't about having the guy ask you to the dance but it's about realizing what you DO have and not taking a single second for granted.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.