Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Stretched Too Thin

'Where’s your husband?'

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

e041d13fb4c3510258cc6e4ec53c5e51c94dcb8f.jpeg

“Where’s your husband?”

It’s a question that comes my way whenever I disclose a hard moment with our Amos.
It’s me that hauls and cajoles and threatens and tries to interpret what he needs.
He wants me, the person that knows him better than anyone.
I imagine I am his safe place.
And so, I share what it’s like to be a mom of a little boy with special needs, but I don’t share what it’s like for my husband.
That’s his story and only he can tell it.
I will tell you though that he’s in the shadows of my story.
He’s cleaning up the kitchen.
He’s taking someone to the playground on a rainy dark night in hopes that the swing soothes him.
He’s my punching bag for words and yet, when I apologize, he is quick to say there’s no need and he means it.
He’s my other half and really, the only other person on this earth that simultaneously loves Amos like I do and understands the heart ache, frustration and helplessness that travels with meeting his needs.
Last night, I was done and I told him- “I just can’t do this any more, I may hurt him.”
He didn’t look at me with pity or anger or annoyance.
No, he said, “I’ve been there, too.”
Where’s my husband?
He’s right here, cheering me along, sharing the joyful moments and the hard as hell ones.
Loving us.

11bf748aa3b09e2d19769f6d1b3280881832fc12.jpeg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.