Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

My Micro Preemie Twins Experience in the NICU

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

583d72cad29e0f24d439521a785fb5636944759e.png

I’ve been a devoted fan of the TODAY Show for many years, and today I’m ebullient to share my NICU story. One year ago, I gave birth to (2) micro preemies who had little to no chance of surviving. Through my experience, I hope others that may be going through a similar situation with their preemie, or preemies will be encouraged to keep fighting.

I was 22 weeks pregnant with twins when my water broke. After being rushed to the hospital, I laid in bed for a week before giving birth. The doctors informed me that both my forthcoming daughter and son would have less than a 20% survival rate. Regardless, I signed all the paperwork for the babies to be resuscitated and intubated after I delivered and started researching burial plans as the statistics seemed bleak. Once I gave birth via C-Section, my daughter arrived first, weighing 485 grams, and my son 568 grams. Both were immediately sent to the NICU, before I had the opportunity to see them. I had no idea the NICU would become our home for the next 100 plus days, filled with fear, heartbreak, and the babies fighting for their lives 24 hours a day. Everyday was an emotional rollercoaster x2.

They conquered painful obstacles that no baby should ever have to go through, or parents should ever have to witness. Today, they’re thriving and doing miraculously….

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.