Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Back to School

The Back-To-School Letter That Belongs To All Of Us

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Back-to-school is just around the corner at my house. Every year I feel the exact same way about it: equal parts nervous for the unexpected and excited for freshly-sharpened pencils, fall's crisped leaves, and the cusp of new opportunities. I'm always tempted to fill my kids with too much advice that they'd probably prefer I keep to myself. But through my years of teaching and parenting I've learned that all school lessons can be wrapped into this pretty bow. I leave my kids with a version of this back-to-school letter every year, and at every grade. And this is what we come back to as needed when nerves win over freshly-sharpened pencils, as they sometimes do. Feel free to change the names and use this letter, too. We're all bettered when kindness belongs to all of us.

ed40f865f1daa65ea79f8b0e2ea883f144ab529e.jpg

Dear Kayli, Chloe, and Brody,

I can hardly believe it's the first day of school!

I'm sending you off knowing exactly how excited, happy, and maybe just a little bit nervous you are, and I want you to know that I think you're feeling all of the right things. (In fact, I feel the exact same way!)

Your teachers asked me what my hopes and dreams are for your school year. I have several. This should surprise no one. This year I want you to laugh and play and learn. Of course, learn. But mostly, I want you to find kindness.

Kindness to your friends who might've had a bad morning or woken up on the wrong side of the bed or maybe even had a bad dream last night. Your friends have these, too. Did you know that? You're not alone in any of the good things you feel, or the bad. And with a little bit of kindness, no one has to feel alone or afraid or less than, and you can be a part of that lift. Yes, you.

I also want you to be kind to your teachers. Having walked in shoes like theirs and organized classrooms like theirs and read books in front of children just like you, I know that they might have bad moments and mornings and days this year. This will never be because that they're mad at you or mean or even bad teachers. It'll just mean that they're human and need your kindness, just like everyone else. Be polite. Listen. Give answers. Ask more questions. Write neatly. Smile their way. And say thank you, often.

Be kind to each other. The gift of a siblings shouldn't be taken lightly. Take care of each other, defend each others' hearts, forgive bad days (weeks!), laugh together, keep each others' secrets, and do one kind thing for each other every single day. Make her bed. Take up his dishes. Make her a snack. Lend him a book. Pick her favorite show. Everyone deserves at least one person in their lives who always has their back. You're that person for each other, and you're so very lucky for it. Act like it.

And the most important hope and dream of kindness that I have for each of you is this: Be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself for mistakes. Give yourself time to rest and relax and rejuvenate. Figure out what you love and do it. Often. Say nice words in your mind and your heart because you are golden. And when we face the world seeing our own light, absolutely everything brightens.

I love you, sweet kids. Have a beautiful first day, cookies and milk for everyone when you get home—so hurry home!—and remember, find kindness.

Moon and back,
Mom

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.