Choosing The Best Breast Pump For Twins And Mothers
Breastfeeding is perhaps one of the most underrated activities that a mother does to her newborn. Little do people know that breastfeeding one’s baby entails lots of effort for the mother.
Breast feeding can be very inconvenient as the mother’s back, wrist, and body are stretched and strained. Indeed, it can prove to be very challenging. How much more if you are breastfeeding twins or triplets?
To avoid the added stress and physical exertion involved in breastfeeding twins or multiple babies, this is where breast pump for twins could be very, very useful.
Don't have time to read the entire article? No Problem. Jump to the '6 best breast pump for twins' and see all the best breast pumps we've picked for you.
Characteristics Of A Good Breast Pump
So what are the characteristics of a good breast pump for twins or multiple babies? One needs to choose the breast pump that is most suitable for you especially if you are looking for the best breast pump for twins.
They say that a good breastfeeding pump mimics the baby’s natural sucking ability. This is indeed true. A baby’s sucking ability may be divided into two. First is when a baby sucks fast. This allows for faster flow of milk and happens when the baby is usually very hungry or thirsty.
On the other hand, when a baby feels relaxed, he sucks slower. This slower sucking allows for greater and more constant milk flow. Hence, your breast pump for twins must be able to mimic these two methods.
Moreover, a good breast pump should also allow you - the mother - to fully control and manage the rhythm, speed, and strength of the machine’s pumping abilities.
Most breastfeeding pumps are connected to electric sockets for you to be able to use it. Nevertheless, there are instances wherein you need to use your breastfeeding pump in places where electrical outlets are not readily available.
This happens when you are in transit, outdoors, or if your office does not have a breastfeeding room. In times such as these, it is of utmost importance that your breastfeeding pump has batteries. In this regard, you will still be able to use the device freestyle.
There are benefits to the double pumping of breast milk. First of all, it is less time consuming. Within a matter of several minutes, you will finish pumping and move on with whatever it is that you have been doing.
Secondly, faster and dual pumping of breast milk produce a hormone that further hastens the production of breast milk. In this manner, it is important that your pump is big, as smaller pumps take a longer time to pump milk.
The size of your breast pump is not the only consideration whenever you buy a breast pump. Especially if you are particularly always on the go, choose a breast pump that is not heavy.
An ideal breast pump is one that is easy to carry as you go and move from one place to another. Having said this, choose a breast pump that is of good size and one that is also ideal in weight relative to your schedule and your body size.
Types of Breast Pump
Hospital Grade Breast Pump
The main benefit of using a hospital grade breast pump is its high level of efficiency. Using this device, which is usually made available for rental in hospitals, clinics, and other maternity centers enable breast milk pumping time to be cut to only fifteen minutes - especially when you simultaneously pump both breasts.
This breast pump weighs around eight pounds on the average and is very useful if your baby happens to find it difficult to latch on you during breastfeeding. However, one significant downside of this type of breast pump is that it is bulky and rather inconvenient to carry with you.
Also, this kind of breast pump is quite expensive. This is extremely helpful for those who are looking for the best breast pump for twins.
Midweight, Personal Use, Automatic Breast Pumps
This type of breast pump is smaller in size and is also lighter in weight, as it usually weighs seven pounds or even less. Just like the hospital grade breast pump, this type of automatic breast pump has features that enable pumping of breast milk in different rhythms and speeds.
It can also cut off the time of breast milk pumping as it possesses a high degree of efficiency as well. However, one downside of using this device is it is not very convenient especially for mothers who work and are always on the go.
Small Electric or Battery Operated Units
This type of breast milk pumping device is small and highly portable. It can easily fit inside a mother’s handbag or even a medium-sized purse for that matter.
It is perfect for those mothers who are busy at work and for those who are nursing and breastfeeding children and at the same time spend a lot of time out of the house. This type of breast pump is battery operated and is best for mothers who only need to use this occasionally.
Nevertheless, a downside of this device is that the suction capacity tends to be mediocre at times. It takes a longer period before one can fill one milk bottle. Also, the slower pace of pumping milk and a longer period of suction tends to produce breast and nipple discomfort.
Manual Breast Pumps
Manual breast pumps, as the name implies, allows you fully to control the suction and the pumping of milk. A lot of mothers like this because it is relatively one of the least expensive. This is also ideal if you only miss breastfeeding occasionally.
A lot of mothers who are either everyday homemakers or work from home use the manual breast pump if they have a prolonged period that they need to spend outdoors or if they are spending a night out with friends.
Obviously, one downside is the fact that manual breast milk pumping devices are particularly tiresome and exerts so much pressure on the hand that pumps the device.
Hands-free pumps are ideal for mothers who are extremely busy and always doing something. This breastfeeding device is assembled and can be used by any mother while working, emailing, talking to someone on the phone, and doing household chores. It is extremely useful and efficient!
However, many mothers have mentioned that assembling the device is rather complicated and frustrating. Hands-free pumps also pump milk at a much slower pace than other types of breast milk pumps. This could be quite challenging, especially if you are looking for the best breast pump for twins.
6 Best Breast Pump for Twins
Medela Pump in Style
The well-known breast pump device manufacturer Medela has introduced to the market one notable breast pump that is super ideal if you are looking for the best breast pump for twins. Medela breast pump is also the most popular choice among working moms due to it contemporary design as well as the user-friendly features. Shop for Medela products here.
Their Pump In Style Advanced breast pump device comes in three bag styles - On the go Tote, Backpack, and the Metro Bag. A lot of moms love this because of its many benefits:
- It produces more milk in less time and maximum comfort. Moms get to save a lot of time and tend to get more milk without feeling too much discomfort.
- It is highly efficient. It is highly recommended for mothers who pump breast milk several times in a day.
- The breast pump comes with a very innovative bag. The on the go tote bag and the backpack have built in pumps for easy use whereas the metro bag has a removable pump for a sleeker look.
- The product included batteries. This means that you can readily use the product anytime and anywhere.
- The pumping may be adjusted according to the speed and comfort desired by the user.
- The pack has enough room to contain 4 breastmilk bottles. There is also room for ice packs to keep the breast milk cold and fresh.
- The storage of the pack was also made in such a way that spillage and tubing are reduced to a minimum.
- The product is relatively expensive and costs much more than other breast pumps.
Medela Pump In Style (Tote)
Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump Backpack
Pump In Style Advanced - The Metro Bag
Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set-Model
Breast Pump Kit for Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breastpump
If you are looking for the best breast pump for twins, the Medela Symphony would be a great recommendation. This device was manufactured based on the research by Dr. Peter Hartmann on electric breast pumps. This state of the art breast pump gives the user the following benefits:
- It can mimic the baby’s natural rhythm.
- It is highly convenient and comfortable to use - be it single or double pumping.
- It has the option for both single pumping and doubles pumping as the device may easily be adjusted.
- The pump kit is separate from the pump mechanism which allows for protection against overflow and unnecessary wastage.
- The pumping device works with great ease and can work with great efficiency.
- Some moms find it hard to adjust the cycle frequency once they begin using this device.
Medela Symphony Double Pumping System
Medela Symphony Double Pumping System Kit
The First Years Breastflow Memory
Moms who want all their breast milk pumping data and frequency recorded can not do without this device. The kit that you buy also includes rechargeable batteries and storage room for both the milk bottle and the icepack. Moms love this device because of the following features:
- It is entirely digital. It has a touch screen that allows you to monitor all your breast milk pumping data for up to the last ten sessions
- It can record everything - the time, the speed, and the amount of milk that was pumped per session. It is completely accurate!
- The double pump functions even when you are using only one hand. This is extremely useful especially if you are looking for the best breast pump for twins.
- It is completely rechargeable and highly portable. You can bring it with you wherever you want to go.
- It is very affordable.
- It is not very durable especially for moms who are always on the go.
The First Years Breastflow Memory Pump
The First Years Breastflow Starter Set
Hygeia Enjoye Cordless
This breast pump device is for maximum durability and may be used for several times in a day. It is of hospital-grade device that is apt for personal use. This double electric breast pump has many loyal customers because of the following benefits:
- It can imitate the baby’s suckling patterns and is comfortable for the nursing mother.
- The speed, pressure, and pumping rhythm are completely customizable.
- The device is made of materials which are completely safe for the baby.
- The pumping produces a sound that is somewhat noisy and could wake up a sensitive sleeper.
- It consumes battery life way too fast.
Hygeia Enjoye Cordless
Spectra S2 And S1
This breast pump has all the functions of a good breast pump for twins. It is a relatively popular brand. The only different between the Spectra S1 and S2 is that S1 has a built-in battery to enable portability while S2 has to plug into an electric outlet for it to work. Users love it for its many benefits including:
- It is super quiet, and it is perfect for babies who are light sleepers.
- It can operate hands-free. This means that moms can multi-task.
- It has a powerful suction mechanism. This means that time used in pumping breast milk will be lessened when you use this product.
- Moms who use this product have claimed that it is very comfortable and convenient to use.
- Some users have reported that the product has inconsistent suctioning abilities. Brand new devices tend to pump milk fast but as the product wears out, suctioning slows down.
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
Spectra Baby USA S1 Double/Single Breast Pump With Rechargeable Battery
Philips Avent Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump 2015 Version
The Philips Avent Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump was recently upgraded to make it more cutting edge. Manufactured with products that synthetic-free and completely healthy for both baby and nursing mother, the 2015 version has been a certified hit among nursing moms due to these benefits:
- It is very comfortable to use because it is ergonomically designed.
- The cushion serves as a form of gentle massage as it stimulates milk flow.
- The pumping strength and rhythm is extremely customizable (slow, medium, fast)
- The package assemblage has small parts which may be hazardous to children.
- Faster wear and tear compared to other products
Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
Related Popular Posts
February 27, 2016
May 31, 2016
June 14, 2016
This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.