Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Please, Stop Telling Us to Soak it all In.

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

fe59264ccc352fa51c7f79520f2954eaf03f642a.jpeg

Please stop telling us to ‘soak it all in.’

There is no more room in my brain, heart, or soul to take in one more bit of information.
I’m maxed out. Tapped out. Done. Fried and a bit frazzled.

But I’m still a great mother.

I’ve told several friends lately that going back to school this year is worse than 2020. At least we had our footing that year.
We were in the throws of masks, distancing, and virtual everything so when it came to back-to-school, we were essentially doing the same thing except in August.

This year is different.

I’m more nervous now. This coming year will be very different. I’m smack dab in the middle of the sandwich generation. I’m taking care of people on two very different ends of life’s spectrum.
Please stop telling us to ‘soak it all in.’

As mothers, we often carry the mental load and my current load is really heavy. I’m not taking on one more thing.

My daughter starts high school this year and aside from buying uniforms and shoes, I stop myself every time I think about it. It’s too much. I *think* my son has all of his supplies for fifth grade.

After years of the same schedule and family rhythm, life has shifted. We took a hard right turn and I now feel like I’m living in the upside down.

I’m distracted lately and sometimes I miss something one of them says to me. Some days I miss several things. I haven’t forgotten anything major but I’m certainly tired enough for it to happen.

But I’m still a great mother.

There's so much pressure for things to be perfect. There’s too much pressure for mothers to watch, remember, and catalogue every waking moment and I’m here to say it’s too much.

Stop telling us to ‘soak it all in.’

My kids know how much I love them. Even on the days that we get by on autopilot. Some days my love is expressed by reminding them to wash their hands. Making dinner. Cracking jokes in the morning when I wake them up.

There are enough pressures on mothers already. Society is basically saying, ‘here’s one more.’

Well, I’m stepping out of this line.

They know I love them even if I’m not savoring every moment. They know I love them even if I’m not soaking anything in except for the fact that we all made it through the day and are all home under the same roof.

Some days that is enough. Some days that is more than enough. Same for you.

Hang in there, ya’ll. xo

Originally published: /www.facebook.com/entermotherin...

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.