Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: I'm a Great Mom Because...

Perception is everything

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

82e49c251aaae7f343089dd9ed272c85014422f5.jpg

“When we treat people merely as they are, they will remain as they are. When we treat them as if they were what they should be, they will become what they should be.”- Thomas S. Monson.

I have chosen "I'm a Great Mom Because..." campaign for there is a lot to be said and not only about me. Motherhood is very profound, personal, and vulnerable experience and we all trying our best. As a mom of 2 children ages 7 and 9 (boy and girl respectively), I can’t wait to read other’s posts as there is always something to learn from personal stories.

I consider myself a great mom because I am happy with how my children are placing themselves in the world and in the family. Please note, not "trying to place" but "placing, "because these are two different things. They are not afraid to be different, they have passions and big goals in life which they achieve, and they are very loyal to friends, family, and teammates...

I take credit for it because I was always able to see them this way.

When they were little, it was all about them. My neighbors used to joke that my kids were not allowed to cry. It’s true, only happy, positive experiences were permitted. I wanted them to love being happy and be able to trust me. Hugs, kisses, and lots of quality time did the magic. I was delighted myself. The kids are ours for only so long. I took advantage of every minute (sometimes literally.)

As they grew, the happiness from just being happy slowly shifted to making me happy. We all know that praising children works. I was constantly and gradually lifting the bar of achievements according to my standards and their personalities. I do believe children must be mom-pleasing. We are guiding light for them, mentors, and protectors. How else could it be?

The next step was independence. I love independent children: from homework to self-care through goals and relationships. I believe that it might be the best remedy for apathy and depression at teenage years which we will be facing soon. Independence keeps children busy, self-conscious in a good way, promotes practical thinking and active stand in life. I give my children a lot of freedom with it and they love it. What’s not to love?

Additionally, I think I am a great mom because I am not going to stop. This is the lifestyle I had chosen when I got pregnant. I am excited about the future. Not as if my plans must be executed by my children but rather as all of us supporting each other. I believe children are not meant to be our problems and add to the issues we have. They are the replacement of all that, and meant to take us to the next level. Its a lifestyle of learning and doing.

And finally, I am a great mom because I am bringing up two beautiful human beings for this world. Soon enough children will become independent adults, with their views on life, connections and power. I am willing to share, motivate and help other children and parents. It is the world we live in. We can make it beautiful one human at a time. Power to the moms! All we need is the right perception.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.