Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Back to School

One Fun Thing

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Summer is winding to a close, and soon the long days of freedom will be over. That is, until next year.

I was thinking back to my own childhood recently, and remembering how fun life seemed to me as a kid. The funny thing is, I know the truth. Looking on, my life would not be described by most people as "fun."

We enjoyed a modest existence as a missionary family. While we loved our incredible life in Africa, we spent much of our lives with little more than the bare necessities. There were, of course times when we had a little extra money, and were able to do something special. But, most of the time, it was up to us and our imagination to create a little "summer fun."

The secret that my Parents unknowingly passed on to me from that time, was the resolve to make life memorable. No matter what.

Even during the seasons where money was scarce, my Dad would make sure we did that "one fun thing."

I remember hikes, bike rides, and days at the beach when we lived near the coast of West Africa. It didn't require money, but it inspired the most beautiful memories. (Who else gets to drink milk straight out of a freshly picked coconut on the beach?)

When we traveled around the United States to raise our financial support, my Parents would often stop the car along the way, let us out, and create a happy space...just for us.

We went to museums, famous landmarks, and explored the sides of mountains.

It could have been only for an hour or two, but through the eyes of a child, it made the whole day delightful.

I'm trying to remember how important that is now...with my own four children.

f14f5e096bbf51b8804a2d76a7f2dd08191cc3a1.jpg

On the days when I have my own agenda, and I don't really want to change it, I will remember the times my Parents stopped to do that "one fun thing." That outing that brought a smile to my face at the time, and fills my heart with joy as I reminisce today.

99df0a18ec9eae0c723f69ad5560248095dd3902.jpg

My husband and I did that just recently. It involved sun, water, LOTS of sand, and 4 delighted children who's giggles I can still hear in my mind.

It was a mess. It interrupted a few hours. But, it was one fun thing that brought joy and created a lasting memory.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.