Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

My Miracle

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Back in 1978 we werent allowed to take pictures so all I have of those times are my memories, Our First child was born at 20 weeks and only lived 15 minutes so when I became pregnant a second time we were very anxious, After passing my 5th month I began to feel somewhat better but on the night of April 13th I began to have cramps and nnoticed some bleeding, By the time I got to the hospital I knew,,I knew I was losing my baby. My doctor was out of town so his partner who I had never seen was called. I was so scared because I didnt have faith in him because I didnt know him. But I was soon assured. He set the hospital on end! The nurses and staff were on point with everything they could do. But at 9:20 am n April 14th my Jaime was born. Weighing only 2 lbs and a head full of hair! I didnt get to see her til 3 days later when I was released.. That long ride down that corridor without my baby in my arms.. not what I had imagined. The first time I saw her was so tramatic. She was nothing like they told me she would be, SHe had hair on her head but no eyelashes or eyebrows,,no fingernails and her ears were flat against her head. She didnt even have a little hiney because she had no fat on her body. Bruised like she had been beaten from head to toe. I came away crying for my baby. EVeryday I vivisted her and stayed all day..as long as they would let me,,pumping milk,,which my baby could not drink but others could because by the time she could I had none, But you know what? I wouldnt trade that time for anything, I got to watch my baby grow! I got to see those eyelashes come in,,those fingernails grow in. That little Hiney fill out! The day she came home continues to this day to be the highlight of my life. Through many prayers and the Love of God I brought home my baby girl who beat the odds. Yes I will never forget.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.