I was five months pregnant when I discovered something I had never-ever heard of called 'vaginal tears.' I knew right then and there that motherhood wasn't going to be as pretty as I had imagined it when I would pretend to be a mommy when I was a little girl.
Our son was a surprise to my husband and I and I had no idea what to expect. My feisty grandmother was quick to tell me to pull it together and the advice I received from other moms assured me that as a mother, I would just know what to do.
My son just turned 4 and I still consult websites, other parents, and professionals because I have no idea what I am doing!
I don't think I'm a bad mom. My son is really clever, fun, and very kind to others. My husband often bears the brunt of convincing me I'm not a total failure and that despite never truly knowing what I am doing, I'm doing exactly what our son needs.
Here are 5 things you probably might not be expecting about motherhood:
1. You will eat the goldfish crackers you find in the car around your child's car seat.
2. You will never go to the bathroom alone and your child will always ask you what you are doing on the toilet.
3. Wearing a bra or pants that utilize a zipper will be considered dressing up.
4. People will always ask you if you are feeling alright because you will have a constant look of confusion and panic on your face. Also, dark circles will make you look like a skeleton.
5. You will make plans to get things done when your child is sleeping but instead you will use that opportunity to get some sleep yourself.