Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Mashed Potato Pie

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Preserving the past, while looking towards the future, this mashed potato pie is an homage to the many Thanksgivings celebrated in my Italian-American family.

Mashed Potato Pie

• Servings: ⅛ slice of pie
  • Yield: 8 servings
  • Prep Time: 20 min
  • Cooking Time: 1 hr

Ingredients

• 3 large russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
  • 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter
  • ¾ cup (140 grams) ricotta cheese
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 ounces (56 grams) Gruyere cheese, shredded
  • Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preparation

1. Add the potatoes to a 4-quart pot. Fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F. Grease the sides and bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
  3. Drain the potatoes, and return them back to the pot. Add the butter. Cover with a lid for 2 minutes, allowing the butter to melt. Using a hand held mixer on medium-low speed, beat the potatoes just until they’re smooth (be careful not to overbeat, or they’ll become gummy).
  4. Stir in the ricotta cheese, eggs, and half of the Gruyere cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the mashed potato mixture into the prepared pie plate. Evenly sprinkle the remaining Gruyere cheese on top.
  5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until the top is slightly puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven, and let rest 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

Recipe Tags

Growing up in an Italian-American family, Thanksgiving traditions were always a mash up of old and new—baked ziti served before the turkey is normal in every household, right? Eventually the baked ziti was weaned from our holiday table. In its place came a rich, cheese laden mashed potato pie that was a meal in itself. It was a hefty helping of buttery, whipped potatoes, seasoned with milk, mozzarella cheese, locatelli cheese, and prosciutto, all baked in a huge rectangular tray.

As I grew older, and began hosting my own Thanksgiving, many of those food traditions changed. Mikey began making a homemade stuffing, and I swapped in fresh cranberry sauce for the canned one that graced so many of our meals. One year I really went renegade and made an incredible spoonbread pudding in lieu of the potatoes. I don’t suggest ever doing something that radical unless you’re ready for a revolt. Most of my family tried it, and some even liked it (Mikey and I loved it, thank you very much) but my uncle was a stubborn one who refused to take a taste. He insisted he didn’t like it, even though he’d never tried spoonbread in his life. My family is not very open to change when it comes to their food. As I think back to that Thanksgiving ten years ago, I realize I was the one in the wrong. I should’ve approached the menu much the way I do cooking for my daughters. Change works best when it’s paired with something familiar.

Years ago, the beloved mashed potato pie was on the chopping block, but how could I reinvent it to satisfy both my needs for something new and my family's tastes?

For starters, I kept the mashed potato base simple with just a couple of pats of butter. I decided it was best to allocate the calories to the cheese and eggs I’d be adding to make this soufflé-like pie. I also swapped out the mozzarella my family usually used, and added a combination of grated Gruyere cheese and fresh ricotta. The pie puffs up slightly towards the end of cooking, and takes on a lovely golden hue. A little rest before serving ensures neat slices to serve alongside the turkey and other fixin’s.

{Make Ahead} The pie may be made through step 4 the night before. Cover with foil or plastic, and store in the fridge. Remove one hour before ready to bake, to let it come to room temperature.

9183b325dca3850b5675c46e006f48098f62b6e0.jpg

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!