Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Parenting Resolutions

Making Self-Care My New Mom Goal in 2020

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Screw your perfect mom blogs, I’m not going to live an overwhelmed life to feel better about myself

a5ef6ad14387521ce7f026917159c5d2715f5868.jpg

No one tells you this about Motherhood

I’m too tired and anxious to click another one of those Pinterest articles titled, “17 Ways to Be a Better Mother”. I just can’t. I know I’m not winning any parenting awards, but I my kids know I love them and that’s the highest aspiration I can afford. Because I am SO burned out right now.

Meg Harrell megforit.com

And I’m not perfect, I’m an anxious mother of two whose anxiety manifests as anger. Read more about it in my article: I might look nice in pictures BUT I’m the THAT Mom | How my Anxiety turns into Anger and I take it out on my kids.

Instead of getting exhausted to my limits – this year I’m putting more of my effort into me! It’s all about self-care for me in 2020.

What is Self Care

Self-care is taking good care of your body, your mind, and your spirit. You choose to improve and not damage your physical, mental, or emotional health. This is a journey and not a destination for me.

8852fca4df0505c1528f842b207dc515f45f5051.jpg

I’m really feeling the effects of putting everyones needs above mine. I feel guilty. I wake up and run through my mental to do list and previous days failures. My kids don’t respect my needs. My clients push me around. It’s time to show everyone – including myself where the standard is for how you treat “Meg”.

d0c7a495a32eb758fabc8139ab9984d603a00019.jpg

What ISN’T Self Care

Self care is not something that I will force myself to do. It’s something that’s going to fuel me and not drain me. I like editing videos and writing articles. I would rather do that than get my nails done or take a bath.

Setting time aside for myself for things that fuel me will be my self care.

ccbf34dadfae50576bb61000c3c7c39840b5c13d.jpeg

Mind

I will choose to find quiet moments away from the chaos. I will feed my mind good things and not bad things (like that click-bait sad story on FB. I’m gonna scroll right past it!). I will not take on the mental burden or guilt of others this year.

e5c9f08a9d1044d3376a41e63061a644d944534b.png

Another thing, my personal self care is more important than the crumbs on my car floor. (And there's a lot of em!) I’m going to let crap like that go. It will not bother me like it used to. Like Elsa said, Let it go! #princesswisdom

Body

When I’m stressed, I usually eat garbage. Not literal garbage, but sugary salty nonsense that only makes me feel bloated and tired. I will be diligent in taking my multivitamins, eating a vegetable here and there and saying “no thank you” to the overindulgence.

975559065d7ee51ba9ec6239de9762269356463c.jpg

I will also love my body in the mirror. I’m sick of giving myself a full body scan as I look for imperfections. I like it. It’s mine. It's healthy and functioning.

I will love who is in the mirror. Because this body is a gift from God. I will be choose to be grateful.

My Spirit

This year I will choose to look more for God. I will pray instead of panic. I will search for answers instead of believing everything that is told to me. I will love God more and love my neighbor more.

ca8a2aaa376347e9d8321697cd02cc9baa3c4bab.jpg

Self-care is not always bubble baths and walking away from negative people. I think it’s when you get to the point in life where you are done ignoring your own needs. I think this is all too common for my fellow mommies and daddies!

We are super humans who can do anything – but that doesn’t mean we have to DO everything! It’s exhausting and you need to take care of yourself so you can better love and serve your loved ones.

0f8eb4af101d1fbe95d989feb5f3ecc5a8730f74.jpeg

There’s my soap box rant for 2020. This is me. I’m finally choosing self-care over self-destructions disguised as "selflessness". It’s time for Mommy. Cheers to the Year of the Mommy!

Who’s with me?!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.