Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Life Changes

Letter to my daughters

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

140bce5b95b258fa8250d425c7c10bdc417d1b36.jpg

As impending parents we consider how we can best influence this precious life on the brink of joining us, we think about how will it change our dynamic and, will we ever sleep again (the stories are scary!)? Of course, we know that becoming a parent will change us- but in the infancy (literally) stages, do we consider how we will be changed? Nineteen years later, I reflect on how being a mother changed me in terms of what I would like to impart to my teenage (almost adult) daughters. In my humble opinion, being a parent requires introspection to stay ahead of the curve and grow along with them. On this Mother's Day I want to share I poem I wrote to my daughters a few years ago to illustrate how they've impacted me and the wisdom I'd like to share. It is dedicated to my girls (ages: 17 & 19). Love you so big!

May, 2013

Letter to my daughters,

Be Competent. But you don’t always need to prove it.
Have Boundaries. And love unconditionally those who respect them.
Affirm Yourself. Even when society and your ego might suggest otherwise.
Stay Vital. Don’t lose yourself in the mundane tasks. Remember your passion.
Be a Friend. Save your best kept secrets for those who deserve them.
Be Playful. Wonderment is the best remedy for adulthood.
Find Love. It resides in all things that bring you joy.
Stay true. Your story is yours alone, write it.
Be Authentic. Your soul will soar if you do.
Believe. Good thoughts always win.

All my Love,
Mom

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.