Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Lessons from the kitchen

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I am a firm believer in that if you start kids in the kitchen when they are young they will learn to enjoy cooking and are more likely to try new things! A child that may shy away from something on their plate presented to them at the dining table is often more likely to try something new if they have helped prepare it!

In addition, cooking together gives you opportunities to talk about other things, bond, explore, share stories, and learn. I have wonderful memories of stories that my grandmother told me while I would cook alongside her.

The kitchen is also its own wonderful classroom! There are so many science experiments and school tools that can be taught from a kitchen! Dylan began learning his shapes from pots, pans, and baking sheets as a toddler and I taught my older two boys fractions while baking with them. Measuring cups are great practice for fractions!

The kitchen also provides a wonderful opportunity to boost a child’s confidence! Children thrive on positive feedback. Just imagine the pride that they would take in being able to share that they had helped cook dinner that evening!

Today Dylan and I are sharing one of our favorite recipes to bake together with you!

Dylan’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

215053c9ee11b0bd0a43b3c2a444435139410fd9.jpeg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.