Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: What Makes a Family?

Kids Deserve An Apology

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

b932959d0f15bd9dd135f8ad3ce33fea0b9851ef.png

I don’t really remember my parents apologizing to me when I was a kid. Not that I’m taking it against them, I just don’t remember them saying the word sorry.

Although my childhood memories were precious and irreplaceable, there were times when my parents would have their quirky moments that made me just stay in my room. But when all had ended well and most of the time it did, I would just step out of my room as if nothing ever happened. There were no apologies.

Making It Better Now

Growing up in a different time and place has gotten me to think hard on how I want to be a better parent for my kids. I mean, there are times when I’m at my wit’s end. As much as I love doing everything for my family, I also have my moments of insanity.

I guess that moment of insanity is something normal for every mom. This article actually cites that 3 out of 4 parents raise their voices at their kids. I am definitely one of these parents.

When things get crazy at home with all the things I have to do, I would yearn for an “external” career to get away from it all. However, I have chosen to work at home and to work for my family. So case closed.

Nonetheless, there are times when I'm grouchy and I'm yelling at my kids. While that may be considered as normal, my kids deserve an apology just the same. I want to make it better for my kids.

I Can’t Always Be Right

I can’t always be right, the same way my parents weren’t right all the time. But the thing is, when can I accept I’m wrong? As a parent, I know there are times when I’m wrong. But I haven't really cared enough to accept it up until now.

I’m not justifying my behavior but there are times when I feel like I don’t owe my kids anything. As a homemaker who is trying to make each and every day comfortable for my family, I feel like I don’t know owe them anything. So when I have my bad days and snap at them, I just let it pass without any apologies on my part.

Now I know that that’s not a good thing. While I can’t always be right, I will certainly be sending the wrong message to my kids.

I’m Wrong And I’m Sorry

I am slowly realizing the need to say sorry to my kids when I’m wrong. By doing so, they will see that I have the humility to accept my fault. If they see that, they will also have the same attitude.

If my kids see that I am able to apologize to them, they won’t have the illusion that I’m perfect because I’m not and will never be. Besides, kids are better off knowing their parents aren’t perfect at all. That makes parenting a lot lighter for me, if you get what I mean.

Hence, it’s important for my kids to know that I make mistakes…a lot. Most importantly, the word sorry is a truly powerful word. Kids deserve to hear it as well. Especially when I turn into a monster.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.