Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Taking Care of YOU

Improving My Health and Self-Awareness

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

16bd1c513178270eaae5613825133772f271fab5.jpg

When my first baby was born I didn’t want to think about anyone else. I felt so connected to my son that I stopped caring about myself. I would feel it was my duty to dedicate all of my free time to him. It took me a few years to realize that this way of thinking was extremely unhealthy. Unfortunately, I didn’t even realize that I was caught up in this cycle of constant cooking, cleaning, and parenting. You want to do everything you can for your children because you feel a special connection to them, so you don’t even notice how exhausted you are from all the work you’re doing.

However, what I ultimately learned was that you shouldn’t focus only on your kids. Being a good parent is much more than just being there for your children. It’s about setting a good example so your kids can have a positive figure they can look up to. Paying attention to your health and well-being is important not only for you, but your partner and children as well. They need to see you taking care of yourself.

One of the main reasons why self-awareness is very important to parents is because it helps them make the right decisions. When your children start realizing which benefits they’ll have by reacting in a certain way, they will surely start following your lead sooner or later. However, don’t expect to raise your self-awareness easily. Know that this takes a lot of time, patience, and effort. You have to know yourself to the core and be able to do a non-judgmental self-analysis no matter the type of situation you’re in.

Honestly, I don’t think I would’ve been able to improve my self-awareness on my own. If it wasn’t for the support of my friends and family, I wouldn’t know what to do. The people you’re close to can help you objectively analyze past experiences, which will enable you to gain new insight into your reactions. My best friend even convinced me to start seeing a therapist, and that helped me immensely. You can experience a lot of benefits by talking with a trained professional who knows exactly how to help you learn more about yourself.

As soon as you start working on your overall mental health and increasing your self-awareness, you’ll be more motivated to improve your physical health. Understand that living healthy isn’t nearly as hard as most people think. You don’t have to follow a strict diet or exercise every day. Simply try to eliminate junk food as much as possible and opt for fresh produce instead. Healthy eating habits are something you have to instill in your children. Remember that they will eat healthy only if they see you do it.

Another easy way to improve your health is to start taking supplements. Some of the best supplements for moms include magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, and vitamin D. It’s a good idea to research all your options and come up with a plan on how to start living healthy. Whatever you choose to do make sure you do it in moderation. Making drastic changes to your lifestyle can cause you to lose motivation quickly.

If you feel like you’ve been stuck for a long time and have lost your identity, it’s time to start writing down some goals and working on achieving them. It’s important to begin with small and realistic goals. This will ensure you have the motivation to change your lifestyle for the better. Understand that the only way to reach your goals is to have alone time throughout the day. Spending time with yourself and doing things you enjoy will also motivate you to boost your health. On top of that, you’ll feel happier and more relaxed.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.