Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Taking Care of YOU

I'm a Mom Who Dares. Join Me.

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

When my friend asked me to take tennis lesson with her my first instinct was to say no. My daughter was five, my son was two and I worked part-time. But after some convincing I gave in. Now, sixteen years later, I not only still play, but I play in competitive adult leagues and served as team captain for about seven years. Playing this sport has been life changing. It's my dopamine. For that hour and a half on the court the outside world disappears and when the match is over I feel refreshed, less stressed and ready to go back to mommy hood! Not only did I gain a new skill, but I also learned how to be a leader and have fun doing it. I'm a better mom because I gave myself permission to do something just for me. I'm a Mom Who Dares and I want to inspire and motivate other moms to dare themselves to do something new just for them. Why? Because when we do something new just for ourselves, it not only changes us, it has a ripple effect on others, especially our kids.

Tennis has pushed me to take chances. I entered a new business and my kids watched as I tried new strategies, failed, tried again, and eventually they watched me rise to the top 3 percent of the company. The day I was promoted my, then 16-year-old son, there who arms around me and congratulated me! Does it get any better than your kids recognizing your hard work and watching you accomplish a goal you set out to achieve? This is what I taught my kids. This is why I started Moms Who Dare last year! The movement of inspiring and motivating moms everywhere to dare to do the new.

In the past year, a 52-year-old Moms Who Dare member, widowed and raising four sons recently dared herself to go indoor skydiving. Full of fear she did it! The impact this had on her was truly amazing. She felt proud and confident. Another mom in our group dared herself to enroll in a mosaics class, in Washington, D.C., and said she felt a sense of accomplishment and pride without knowing anyone else in the group. Another mom dared herself to attend a local authors event because two others from our group would be going as well. When the other two could not make it, this mom went anyway, driving on a highway that brought back sad memories for her. She went, enjoyed the speaker and met some amazing new women, not to mention how proud of herself she was.

Our group of moms empower each other to find out who we are and what we want in life, beyond our kids. We know act a mom who gives herself permission to do something new just for herself will not only bring a sense of pride, accomplishment and confidence to herself, but will have a ripple effect on her children as well. Because as you know, we are role models for our kids and they are watching us.

Be a Mom Who Dares and watch how you change your life and the lives of your family.

I Dare you!

Daringly yours,

Jodi Silverman

215-872-9398

jsilverman@skllc.com

Coach/Author/Speaker

Founder of Coaching With Jodi & Moms Who Dare

www.CoachingWithJodi.com

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.