I can remember as a kid gummy bears were one of my go-to candies. They were the perfect sneak-into-the-movie theater treat, tasted amazing when popped in the freezer, and usually cost less than a buck a bag. Which meant I knew how to divvy out my allowance at the 7/11 down the street from my house.
Though I don't eat them nearly as much as an adult, they still hold a special place in my heart, and I enjoy them on the occasional movie date I may get with my husband. Now, my son has also developed a taste for these sweet little morsels of gummy goodness and asks for them often.
In an effort to get my picky toddler to eat something other than macaroni & cheese and french toast, I am always finding sneaky ways to hide his veggies from him. (See 3 Green Smoothies For Your Picky Toddler). That said, I decided to try and make my own gummy bears by using all-natural fruit and veggie juice blends. Believe it or not, I was surprised at just how easy they are to make...and how tasty they are to eat.
Because everyone loves the red gummy bears, for this recipe I made them with a berry and carrot juice blend, but I have also made green bears in the past by using V8's Healthy Greens juice. Your pick!
- 1.25-1 1.5 cups fruit/veggie juice of choice (depending on the consistency you desire)
- 4 packets (about 1/3 cup) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup organic honey
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Non-stick cooking spray
What to do:
- In a medium saucepan combine juice and gelatin. Allow it to settle for just a minute.
- While waiting, gently spray molds (you can find them on Amazon) with non-stick spray. (Note: I did this the first time without spray and the gummy bears stuck)
- Turn on low heat and stir until dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and honey and blend well.
- Use a dropper to fill each mold.
- Place in fridge for 5-10 minutes until settled.
The original post for this recipe is published on The Rustic Hideaway.