Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Hooray For Low-Maintenance Friends!

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

f67969b8cb7f5428a0b28eec5ed667fca38dde62.jpg

A friend and I had some tentative plans for tonight. I texted her and asked if she was still up for it, and she explained something had come up with one of her children. She didn't totally back out of our plans, but she knew I'd let her off the hook. I said, "I'm not going to hold your feet to the fire. You don't have to go...no biggie." I'm a low-maintenance friend.

What does that mean? To me, that means that I love my friends exactly as they are. It means I don't get mad if they have to change plans or choose to change plans. I don't have to talk to them every day. I don't take it personally if they don't return my calls, texts, or emails. I don't "expect" them to be a certain way. I simply want them to be there for me when they can. I know real life gets in the way sometimes, and sometimes, you just want to sit on the sofa and watch some mindless television. Years ago, when we had our toddler playgroup, I told all my friends that I am a low-maintenance friend. I also told them I expect the same in return.

For example, if we have plans to go to dinner on a Tuesday night, and on Tuesday afternoon, I decide I just can't pull it off...I call and say, "I just can't pull it off." And that is fine...no questions asked. My friends know they can do that with me, but I expect the same courtesy in return. If it's an important event, it's different...I WANT to attend important events. My friend of 20+ years, Mary Ann, uses our friendship as her example of "low-maintenance friendships." We have the same views. It doesn't mean one or the other of us is neglecting the friendship or taking advantage of the other. It means we can be honest and realistic. We don't get bent out of shape about silly things. We don't sweat the small stuff. There's no pressure. We can be forgiving.

Here’s how I tend to look at it: we all mess up sometimes. There have been countless times I’ve messed up with friends...didn’t return calls, ran very late, accidentally didn’t show for something, or maybe I was just plain thoughtless. I’m sure I’ve done worse things, and I have friends who have done all this too at some time. The great thing about low-maintenance friends? They don’t freak out. They don’t unfriend you on Facebook or give you the silent treatment. They forgive. After all, if we want to be forgiven by others, we have to be forgiving, right? You know...without sin/casting stones, right?

And frankly, it’s so much more fun to take the high road. In my younger days...meaning my teens and twenties...there were times I just couldn’t be forgiving. But I’ve learned. There is no fun in that. Staying angry just takes too much energy. It's exhausting, and usually, it’s worse on the person who stays mad. It's also simply the wrong thing to do. If I ever got mad at you in my teens or twenties, I'm no longer mad. Honestly, chances are I don't even remember being mad.

Life is a lot more fun if you don't take it too seriously.

This is a roundabout way of saying “thank you” to my friend who couldn’t keep our plans tonight. Thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am to have low maintenance friends. Thank you for being up front with me about tonight. Sounds crazy, right? It’s not. Right after she told me she couldn’t go, I texted her back and said, “I totally get it.” It turned into a love fest when she texted back saying, “I don’t deserve you.” I texted back the same thing, and then she texted, “I enjoy having a low- maintenance friend.”

And that was what prompted me to write this today.

Here's one thing I know for sure about my low-maintenance friends: you would drop everything to help me if I needed your help, and you wouldn't complain. You would drive a long way to pick me up, or drive to New Orleans with me to get my passport renewed, or babysit my child in an emergency. In fact, you've likely done it before.

My friends know I often say, “I do not do high-maintenance friendships.” And it’s true. Too much drama? No thanks. There is nothing worse to me than a friendship that feels like work because we are always having to apologize to each other, or because the friend is too needy. I have been known to walk away from a friendship like that. While I love to think I can get along with virtually everyone, I can’t.

I can’t get along with complainers, whiners, negative people, people who try to control me, or high-maintenance friends. I don’t need that in my life, and at 50 (almost 51), I won't even try anymore. It wears me out. It...is...exhausting.

Life is too short.

So, if you consider yourself a low-maintenance friend, we would likely get along. Let's hang out! But if I don't return your call in a timely fashion, don't freak out.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.