For many Christian families, adoption is considered as a path or a way of expressing & sharing their faith with a child.
If you are considering adoption, you can find a lot of adoption agencies in the U.S. that emphasize the faith and values of Christians through their services. When going for a Christian adoption agency, you may even receive grants from Christian organizations such as funding for your adoption.
In this post, we will be discussing how Christian adoption works and the benefits of adopting from a Christian adoption agency.
How Does a Christian Adoption Work?
If you belong to a Christian family, the adoption process will work the same way as it would for any other family. But for you, the primary decision will be choosing an adoption agency that shares your faith & values.
As you begin with your adoption journey, you’ll first need to decide whether you want to adopt in the U.S. or from abroad to figure out whether you need to research for domestic or international adoption agencies. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered before making the decision, such as cost, waiting period, contact with birth parents, travel, and availability of medical information.
You may also need to look out for Christian adoption agency that has experience of working with Christian families. A good place to start with this is by talking to the priest or pastor. They will help you with seeking out for other families in your church for recommendations and will also mentor you through the process. Many churches in the U.S. are actively involved in Christian adoption, which is either through support group ministries or through their own domestic adoption or through foster care programs.
However, you need to be clear on the kinds of support and services you wish to receive from your professional. Typically, a Christian adoption agency provides the most significant services during the entire process of Christian adoption, while adoption consultants are only able to help you through the earlier stages of the process. So make sure you choose your adoption professional wisely.
Advantages of Working with a Christian Adoption Agency
You can choose to work with a Christian adoption agency you get to enjoy the following benefits:
- You will most likely receive religious-based counselling and pro-life encouragement. This can be quite comforting for people who lean on more towards their faith in difficult times.
- You will get an opportunity to work with an organization whose ethics & values are aligned with your own.
- Many Christian adoption agencies also provide an opportunity to serve in the ministry or mission work, especially in the countries where they work with orphanages for international adoptions.
- Many adoptive couples tend to feel called to adopt, just like in James 1:27’s call to care for orphans & widows. These adoptive families may feel that the Christian organization can best help them with fulfilling this calling, domestically or internationally.
- If your family or community is not well supportive of your adoption decision, you might receive greater support from them if you choose to adopt from a Christian organization. Also, many churches already have adoption ministries & support groups in place for families.
As a hopeful adoptive family, you have access to various resources such as professionals, support groups, and grants from organizations which have great Christian values. These multiple resources enable you to connect with like-minded people who can further help you on this beautiful journey of adoption. And through these resources, you can involve your faith in the process of adoption from the very beginning.
This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.