One of the simplest ways to be healthy, is to be active. And the best way to teach our kids? By joining in and showing them how. Here are a few easy ways our family enjoys being active together:
(Please note there are some affiliate links in this post.)
It sounds so simple, but one of the easiest ways to be active as a family is to play together! Let your inner child out and have some fun.
- Climb up that playground structure & slide with your kids.
- Swing from the monkey bars - can you do a pull up?
- Grab a glove and ball for a little game of toss.
- Head to the trampoline park and jump around!
- Have a race - who can sprint a specific distance in the fastest time?
Head beyond your backyard, get out and explore.
- Take a hike. This can be in the woods behind your house, in a nearby park, or down the city streets.
- Head for the nearest greenway access and take a long walk or bike ride.
- Go geocaching. Do a quick search online first at geocaching.com to scout out a few kid friendly cache to find.
The weather is no excuse! There are plenty of ways to get active indoors without leaving your house which is great because, if your kids are like mine, they are non stop all day and need activity to burn that energy especially on rainy days.
- Crank up the music and have a dance party.
- Do yoga together.
- Try a plank or sit up challenge. Who can hold their plank the longest or do the most sit ups?
- Play Twister. Just, take a tip from me, and stretch first.
- Go outside! Put on rain boots and coats. Then go stomp in some puddles!
Most of all, remember to have fun, laugh and enjoy making memories with your family while keeping healthy & active together.
What's your favorite way to stay active with your family?
This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.