Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Bedtime Secrets

Consistency is Key

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

a5891c59536b176598ad7dff5e40b1625f08c35b.jpg

My daughter is the best sleeper! She sleeps 11 hours straight every night with a 2-3 hour nap every afternoon. So great! But it wasn’t always this way... It wasn’t until I set a consistent schedule that she became the best sleeper in the house.

Sleep is very important to me. I work odd hours; waking up every morning at 2:30 a.m. so I can be at work by 3:30 a.m. In order to function I need at least 6-7 hours of sleep. It’s not just work when I need to function. Being sleep deprived also impacted my home life. I wasn’t productive around the house and caught myself snapping at my daughter and husband. I have no patience when I’m overtired. Carrie Wilkerson (speaker and author) said something during one of her famous talks that stuck with me- ‘ the woman sets the tone of the house’. I want my home filled with positivity and joy, not the tired, snapping mother I felt like I was turning into. In order for me to get more sleep, I had to get my daughter to sleep. I spent hours stressing about her not sleeping enough and listening to her cries when I wanted to sleep.

Until my daughter was 11 months old, I was only getting 4-5 hours on a good night. I knew I’d be tired the first few months, but I thought as soon as I started her on solids she would have a full belly and sleep all night long. I was wrong… it was never my daughters fault. I never put her on a consistent schedule. I fed her whenever she wanted at night and rocked her back to sleep every time she cried. I put her to bed whenever I was ready, and let her nap as late as she wanted in the afternoon. You aren’t supposed to wake a sleeping baby, right?!

After trying what I thought was everything to get her to sleep I decided to try establishing a bed time routine and letting her cry it out a few nights. It was hard, very hard! She had no clue where this new routine came from and when I placed her in her crib she would scream! I couldn’t hide from the noise- She’s tiny, how could she be so loud!

I was consistent. I did the exact same thing at the exact same time every night. It took about a week for her to adjust to her new routine. Being on a consistent routine is key. It takes a lot for me to wavier from this routine.

The advice I always give new moms is put your baby on a sleep schedule. I wish I would have done it sooner. Baby number 2 comes this October. I know the few months will be rough but I will be putting the new baby in a routine as soon as he/ she is ready!

Here is our nightly routine:

6:45 p.m. Bath

6:55 p.m. Baby massage with lotion, pajamas and brush teeth

7:00 p.m. Read, she loves to pick out her favorite books!

7:15 p.m. Turn off lights & rock in my arms for about 30 seconds and place in crib

I’m out of her room by 7:20 p.m. at the latest every night.

I have a similar routine for her afternoon nap. She goes down every day between 1-1:30 p.m. and I never let her sleep later than 4:30 p.m.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.