Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Chicken Noodle Soup

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Chicken Noodle Soup is a classic comfort food and it is just one of those dishes that instantly makes you feel better. If it’s on the menu, chances are high that I’ll order it. For those of you who know me well, you know I’m a soupie (I made up a new word, think foodie) and it’s one of my favorite versions of “fast food.” A flavorful, homemade broth is filled with chunks of onion, celery, carrot, shredded chicken and hearty egg noodles to complete the dish. This is definitely an OMG fab recipe and not only because it’s delicious but because while the soups simmering you’ll have time to curl your hair. Now that’s pretty fabulous, right?

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

• 2 chicken breast halves, bone in, skin on
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
  • 1 cup medium-diced carrots (3 carrots)
  • 2 cups egg noodles
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through. Once cooled enough to handle shred the chicken.
  2. Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with oil. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
  3. Add the pasta to the pot. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Add the cooked chicken meat and parsley and heat through.
  4. Season to taste and serve.

Recipe Tags

Chicken Noodle Soup is a classic comfort food and it is just one of those dishes that instantly makes you feel better. If it's on the menu, chances are high that I'll order it. For those of you who know me well, you know I'm a soupie (I made up a new word, think foodie) and it's one of my favorite versions of "fast food." A flavorful, homemade broth is filled with chunks of onion, celery, carrot, shredded chicken and hearty egg noodles to complete the dish. This is definitely an OMG fab recipe and not only because it's delicious but because while the soups simmering you'll have time to curl your hair. Now that's pretty fabulous, right?

A lot of food magazines, and books will tell you to prepare your meals on the weekend, but honestly, it's rare I ever do that. Who knows what you'll feel like eating come Wednesday? Not only that, I have cocktail parties and tennis clinics to attend. This recipe is one of those dishes that can be made after work, and with a side salad and a slice of crusty bread makes a wonderful meal. The best part, I know few people who do not like chicken noodle soup. Want to know a secret? My favorite pairing with this soup is a good old fashioned PB&J. Kinda crazy, I know.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!