Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Healthy Swaps

Chicken Kiev

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

This traditionally unhealthy continental dish is remake baked in the oven without sacrificing any flavor!

Chicken Kiev

• Servings: ½ piece
  • Yield: 4

Ingredients

• ½ cup quinoa flakes
  • ½ cup gluten-free oats
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp coarse ground pepper
  • 2 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • ½ cup gluten free flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp gluten-free Dijon mustard
  • 1 small lemon, juiced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • ½ tsp dried tarragon
  • ½ TB olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • ½ TB butter
  • 1 small lemon, juiced
  • 1 TB gluten-free dijon mustard
  • ¼ cup parsley, chopped
  • ¼ cup sweet white wine

Preparation

1. Make the breadcrumbs. Preheat the oven (I used a toaster oven) to 300F. In a food processor, combine all the breadcrumb ingredients and pulse until well combined. Spread on a rimmed and lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown and dry, about 25 minutes, giving it a stir/shake about half way through. Let cool.
  2. Make the filling by adding all of the filling ingredients to the food processor and pulse until pasty
  3. For the chicken, slice each breast horizontally, stopping about ½ inch from the edges so that the halves remain attached. Open the chicken like a book. Pound between two sheets of plastic wrap to an even ¼ inch thickness with a meat mallet (or a mojito muddler, like I did…). Pound the outer perimeter to ⅛ inch thick. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, place on counter and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Position breasts cut side up and spread half of the filling mixture over each one. Roll bottom edge of chicken, then fold in the sides and continue rolling to form a neat, tight bundle, pressing on the seam and using a skewer to seal if necessary. Repeat with remaining breast and refrigerate about 1 hour to allow the chicken to seal. This actually does make quite a difference
  5. Adjust the oven to 350F. Set a wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs and mustard together. Place the breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish. Working with 1 chicken bundle at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess then coat with the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Coat all sides of the chicken bundle with breadcrumbs, pressing gently so that the crumbs adhere. Place on a prepared wire rack.
  6. Bake chicken until center registers 160F, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
  7. While the chicken is baking, make the sauce. Add the butter substitute, lemon, wine, mustard, salt and pepper to a shallow saucepan. Reduce to desired thickness (mine went about 5 minutes). Finish off with the parsley. Pour over chicken. Slice each roll in half and serve.

Recipe Tags

While Chicken Kiev is often associated with Russian cooking, it was actually thought to have been developed by a French chef. After reading the original recipe I realized that each chicken roll was filled with herbed butter. Two whole tablespoons per cutlet.

Hell will freeze over before I wrap chicken around butter, fry it and eat it. Therefore, consider this Chicken Kiev modified. I instead used the herbs and flavoring of the original, using a titch of olive oil to make a paste and rolled my chicken cutlet around that instead. It may lose some of the effect of the gushing butter, but I’m okay with that, and so are my pants. Rather, I combined the elements in a lovely mustard-lemon-wine sauce to make the Kiev saucy but not grossly buttery. It was also baked, not fried.

1eefbab4fc3d780e9c03724aa318c4a4dafa8e9e.jpg

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!