Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: WHO Are You?

Breaking Stereotypes

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

3d411d46cca8ffe743742b701638c54da6ba93b3.jpg

There are so many stereotypes about women, and I do hate being expected to behave a certain way – usually irresponsibly or incompetently -- because of my gender. As a mother, this issue is even more important because I have young, impressionable children.

I don’t want my kids growing up prejudiced against any group of people and I can prevent that from happening. And I certainly don’t want them resorting to old-fashioned stereotypes. Stereotypes are actually a natural way that humans use to simplify the world and make it easier to handle. The problem is if we treat people differently on the basis of a stereotype.

Ancient history

For example, in the old days, men (we think) did the hunting for food, while the women tended the children and home. We all know that for those of us in the modern world, the stereotype of men being the only ones to ‘bring home the bacon’ is no longer true. These days, many women with or without children work outside of the home.

Then there are the stereotypes that women are bad drivers, they belong in the kitchen, and… they’re bad at golf. When some acquaintance loudly claimed that women were bad golfers, a lightbulb in my head went off.

The challenge

Let me confess right here, and right now. I have a competitive streak. Okay, so it’s not considered ‘ladylike,’ but when did that ever stop me. When this opinionated man declared that women can’t be good golfers, I took it as a personal challenge.

I was already playing casual golf at the time, but never really put much effort into it. I saw it as a fun morning without the children, a bit of ‘me time.’ But after this man exclaimed the stereotype, I decided then and there that I would prove him and other prejudiced individuals like him wrong.

Hard work

I was under no illusions that I would magically be transformed into a champion golfer with just a little effort. I knew that I needed to put in a whole lot of effort if I was to improve substantially and that it would take serious commitment to see this thing through. But I was up for it, and so began an interesting time in my life.

I immediately decided that I had to up the ante and enrolled in The Bird Golf School for lessons from professional golfers. I spent as much time practicing as I could possibly carve out for myself, no small thanks to my very tolerant husband.

Smashing the stereotype

And what they say is true: practice makes perfect … or almost. From being a pretty poor player to a golf player confident enough to play against fairly good players took a whole lot of work. But it was worth it. My games with my friends took on a slightly more serious note, while still being great fun.

I also started playing at a club with players of increasingly better abilities. My improvement was certainly not an overnight thing. It took months of dedicated practice and a certain amount of frustration that I was improving fast enough. You see, I was in a hurry.

The proof is in the putting

At the beginning of the process of turning me into a competent golfer, I made it my goal to participate in a local tournament a year down the line. When the time came, I signed up, proud to be able to furnish the organizers with a reasonable handicap compared with almost a year before then.

I was thrilled to come 20th in the tournament out of a field of 40. Not bad for a year’s work, and putting paid to the stereotype that women are bad at golf. Take that, patriarchy!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.