Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

A Mother's Mantra

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

06f5717089b4880ba382fc226d07c25b66f8feb1.jpg

Today, I will be here.

I will be here in this house with my kids and my dog and my son with special-needs and my husband who has dark, wavy hair.

Today, I will remember that when it comes to autism, there is no right. There is no wrong. There is just me, and a 14-year old boy, and we are both trying our very hardest.

I won’t think about all the stuff I wish I had done differently when he was little, like smiled at him more, or enrolled him in music class, or switched the laundry detergent to a better brand.

I won’t worry about the future, like if he will be able to find a job or make a friend.

I will remind myself that everyone the world over has twenty-four hours in a day, seven days in a week, and fifty-two weeks a year.

A clock is just a clock. With the steady tick of its hands, it measures hours and minutes and seconds.

It does not measure joy, or progress, or pride.

It does not measure a boy.

Time does not measure a boy.

He will get there. When he’s ready.

Today, I will remember his autism was not a choice. He didn’t ask for it.

He didn’t ask for a brain that insists on schedule, or a body that needs to jump.

He did not ask to go to a special school.

He did ask me ninety-million times yesterday if I liked stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut though. That was kind of annoying.

I will remember that we all experience happiness differently.

We all experience success differently.

Today, I will wait. Through the silence, I will listen for intention. I will take three extra seconds, and really hear him. I will not rush him when he tries to speak, or shake my head impatiently.

I will make a point to talk about what he wants to talk about, instead of redirecting him to topics I feel are more appropriate.

And when he jumps in his favorite spot alongside the table in the kitchen, I will walk over, and I will jump with him.

I will join him in his world instead of stuffing him into mine.

I will be happy with who he is—wherever he is.

I will remind myself there is purpose behind his behavior.

There is a reason why he jumps.

There is a reason why he asks about stuffed crust pizza.

There is a reason why he goes to a school in another town and only has four kids in his class.

He has autism. This is his reason.

Today, I will remind him he is important.

I will remind him he is loved.

I will remind him he is safe.

I will stare down the slithering snake of anxiety, and coax it back into its corner. I will use gentle words, and soothing touches, and kind ideas.

Like a long strong hand on the end of a kite, I will hold onto my Jack-a-boo, and keep him in the here and now. I will tell him we don’t need to worry about hurricanes, or spiders in Brazil, or whether or not 6:30 pm is too late to eat dinner.

I will be vulnerable. If I need a break, I will ask for it.

If I need help, I will ask for it.

I will not compare him to his brother. I will not compare him to my neighbor’s son, or my nephew, or the boy on the bus.

And if we go out to a restaurant or to a Little League game, and someone stares at us, I won’t feel a twinge of upset-ness inside my heart.

I will remind myself that the staring is an opportunity to teach—to explain and to show and connect.

It’s a chance to change the conversation from about us to with us.

A conversation about us is dark. It is a secret whispered into a cupped palm, while their eyes shout out loud.

What’s wrong with him?

Did you see the way he jumped?

Could it be autism?

A conversation with us is light, and airy, and pretty.

Oh, he’s okay.

He just needs to move a little. It’s called stimming.

Yes, he has autism.

Yes, he has autism.

I will tell them things.

I will tell them he loves avocados.

I will tell them he is right-handed but sometimes he eats with his left hand, and

I will tell them that they can’t imagine what it’s like to love a boy like him.

Quietly, with steady words and a simple story, I will advocate for my son and his needs and our life.

Today, I will put my head down, and mind my own business.

I won’t get distracted by all the new studies on the Internet, or the articles that say there will never be any funding for a child like him, or that autism is caused by the pollen found on the knees of a bee.

Today, I will serve another mother. I will pat her shoulder, or open a door, or offer a small smile. I will ask if I can hold her bag while her toddler squirms in her arms.

Today, I will do the best I can.

I will remind myself that I know what I am doing, as much as anyone can possibly know what they’re doing.

I may lose my patience, or leave some laundry in the bottom of the basket. Maybe I won’t cook dinner, or I’ll snap at my dark-haired husband when he walks in the door ten minutes late. In the next twelve hours, anything is possible.

But I will forgive myself for my mistakes. When nighttime rolls around, I will lay my head upon my pillow and close my eyes. And when the morning sun blossoms like a new flower, I will begin again.

I will love this boy for who he is.

And I will love myself for who I am.

I will remember that in the midst of the mess, there is often a strange sort of beauty.

Today, I will be fearless.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.