Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

A letter to my daughter: 'I want you to let the standards go'

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

To My Sweet Girl,

I’ll be honest – I’m totally afraid to be a girl mom. Not because I think it will be harder than being a boy mom. No, I think it’s because I understand the female experience.

I know what it’s like to feel less than – basically constantly from the time you’re little.

I know what it’s like to have this insane expectation of perfection.

467e1f94d9b9800c19abe9966b3b100f746fb009.jpg

I know what it’s like to have people say you need to have a career and break a billion glass ceilings… while in the same breathe they say you need to be a mom most importantly.

I know what it’s like to bust your behind to be the best you possibly can in the workplace only to be called ‘eye candy.’

I know what it’s like to finish a day at home with the kids and feel like a complete failure as a mom.

I know what it’s like to want to be loved, to be respected and be beautiful.

My little girl.

I’m worried about the insane standards on women.

I want you to let the standards go.

If I could have you know anything it would be to be yourself. To follow your dreams. To listen to your heart. To know you are a child of God.

What do I expect from you?

I expect you to be a good person. I expect you to work hard. I expect you to be loving, kind and courageous.

But most importantly – I want you to know you don’t have to be everything for anyone.

When you feel less than – you’re letting someone else’s expectations dictate your life.

What do I hope for you?

I hope you have clarity and joy.

Don’t be afraid to be different from the pack – to stand out, to be strange and peculiar.

No, you’re not perfect – but what you have to offer this world is unlike anyone else.

You’re the only you in this world.

I love you sweet girl.

Mom

Related video:

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.