Parents instinctively know that food can affect their child’s behavior and mood. Parents care about their children, because they want them to become healthy human beings. One food that can alter the mood of child is sugar, but it is not the only food that can change the moods of children. We also find foods in the snacks and meals that change the mood of children. Mentioned below are the five most common foods that negatively affect the mood of a child:
- Dairy: If the child is lactose intolerant or allergic to the proteins that are found in dairy, then parents may see change in behavior and mood of their children. Many children become irritable, bad-tempered and aggressive when they take dairy products. Children who are reluctant to dairy products suffer from frequent colds and ear infections. Babies may show colicky symptoms, whereas toddlers and older children may become inconsolable and irritable by taking dairy products. Dairy products can affect children badly, hence parents should make sure that their children remain happy, and to do this, they must give food to their children that keep them happy.
- Artificial Coloring: Artificial coloring is banned by many countries, because it has harmful effects on children. ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), anxiety, hyperactivity, and headaches can occupy children if they intake artificial coloring. Artificial coloring can cause significant behavioral changes in children. Artificial coloring is found in many foods, hence parents often blame such foods. It is also often hidden in unexpected foods like yoghurt and butter. Parents should not use products with color additives (Blue No. 1, Yellow No. 5, and Red No. 40) if they really care about their children’ health. Remember the mood of a child can swing after consuming food with artificial coloring.
- Sugar: Sugar can make a child hyperactive. How can children avoid sugar when it is present in so many thing? This is a question that needs attention. Parents have to do precautionary measures to save their children from eating sugar time and again. Sugar is the main reason for long-term damage of health. Child eating too much sugar may suffer from depression, cognitive delay, tooth decay, and sleep problems. Refined sugar is the main reason for obesity among children. Parents should effort to make their children eat less sugar if they do not want their children to get trapped by health-related diseases.
- Preservatives: Several preservatives are responsible for behavioral problems in children, and they are not limited to nitrates, nitrites, and sodium benzoate. MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG) is flavor enhancer that also causes mood and behavior changes including headaches and hyperactivity in children. Sodium benzoate is commonly present in juice products that are marketed towards children. Parents should not give their children food that contain harmful preservatives if they do not want their children to suffer from hyperactivity. Children eating harmful preservatives behave badly with others.
- Food Allergens: Foods that often trigger allergic reactions are: milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans. If the child has an intolerance or allergy to particular food, then it can cause significant health and behavior issues. On the other hand, it is difficult to find out which allergen makes a child sick without the help of an allergist. There is no cure for food allergies, hence parents should ensure that their children do not eat food that cause allergies. Itching in the mouth, swelling of the lips, and abdominal pain are some common signs and symptoms of food allergies.
Have you ever noticed a behavior change or mood swing in your children? If you have not, then you should notice it now, because it is the matter of life of your children. What you can do is that you track your children when they have eaten food. If you see changes in the mood or behavior of your children, then you should avoid giving the same food to your children. You should try eliminating suspicious foods by noticing the moods or behaviors of your children. Remember food is not the only cause of behavioral issues and conditions, thus it is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your children do not suffer from something bad.
Author Bio: Evelyn Eden is a creative content writer. She is a highly experienced writer. She often creates articles about parenting, because she values family relationships. She works in a Custom Paper Writing Company where her job is to focus on social issues.